Ruger American Predator review!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wot1

Bearcat
Hello everybody.
This is my post to Ruger forum but I am not new to forums and how they work. Recently I picked up a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 creedmoor and I'd like to tell you about how amazed I am with it.

The gun being reviewed here is a American predator in 6.5 creedmoor topped with a vortex crossfire 2 in 6-24x50. Ammo used was federal American eagle 140gr match.

I had read lots about this rifle and how impressed many people were with it, however it seemed nobody would put it on par with a Remington 700 or savage 10/110. I wanted to try it and tell those people they are wrong.

After looking at them in person at my local sport shop I figured I'd try one for $350. My first impression was the stock was cheap feeling and almost sounded hollow. BUT, it is very ergonomic and is bedded pretty decent. It doesn't look too cheesy either imo. The action is pretty decent, not really sure what to compare it with but it felt solid and I can't complain one bit. The mag feeds very well and is super easy to load and fits well. The factory mounted rail is a nice feature too. The trigger is very good, especially for the value of this gun. On par with a accu trigger and all its variants. I adjusted mine to its lightest setting which is very easy to do. The finish on the rifle was crude, but I also am not scared to use it. It's on par with any other gun in its price range.

After zeroing, I was SOLD! This rifle is a shooter! Due to a shortage of ammo at the range I only did 3 shot groups. In the lead sled at 100 yards at a local range I shot 3 groups that were under half moa. The best measures .384". The other group was a hair over .5". This was with a 10 mph tail wind and a slight side wind. The other 4 rounds were spend zeroing it. I will post pictures of the groups and the rifle later tonight.

I can't say enough about how happy I am with this rifle. I'd recommend it to anybody looking for a solid rifle for a less than average price. Absolutely incredible.

Best regards

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
The Predator series is the same action and etc. of the Ruger American Rifle and they are shooters. My S-I-L's friend shot 3 rounds touching at 200 yds. using my 30/06 handload recipe. I have read some peoples bitching about how ugly they are and how flimsy the stock feels, but the beauty in a rifle to me is the accuracy period. I don't care how fine it looks if it won't shoot!

noahmercy

Blackhawk
Just got my 6.5 Predator out for the first time the other day, and I would add that the recoil is negligible in this caliber...less than my buddy's 243 Savage. Also, I tried two different handloads, one with the 129 grain Nosler AccuBond Long Range and one with the 143 grain Hornady ELD-X. Both weights shot great, and the point of impact was virtually identical out to 300 yards. Few cartridges will throw bullets with that much disparity in weight to the same POI. It's a keeper!

Ruger45

Blackhawk
I guess that settles it one of them is in my future. I have them in the rim fire and so far like what I am seeing. But have always been Leary to pull the trigger on the center fire versions.

Ruger45,
Go for it. I have one in 308 that has the navy digital stock (one of the dealer incentive models), and it shoots better than moa. The barrels are thin, so it warms up quickly, but for hunting it is great. My Predator American in 223 shoots 1/2" at 100. It has a medium weight barrel and holds it's accuracy after many shots.

rex1

Bearcat
have predator 308 5/8 barrel threaded
22-250 1/2 barrel threaded
both are shooters
every one should have at least one.
son has 6.5 on order

huntsman22

Blackhawk
And you can trick them out, to get rid of the flimsy stock and cheesy mags....

IMG_8631_zpstz1gmy0j.jpg

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I have been thinking of getting one for my son who is hard pressed for money but I will get a 243 as I have dies brass and bullets.

Latest posts