Ruger American Pred In 6.5creed, Need To Move Scope Closer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

done111

Bearcat
I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Vortex 6.5x20-50 Viper scope. The eye relief at high magnification is short and with the scope set all the way back, I still need to move from my natural cheek weld just a small bit forward toward the scope to get a full view through the scope. The rifle has a stock weaver rail.

So I'm thinking I need a longer weaver rail so I can back the scope up a little more, but I am afraid it will not be as study for the scope as any additional length will be unsupported under the rail. I could also get some sort of cantilevered scope ring(s) but again am leary of it being less stable. I only need to move it back maybe 1/2". Lastly I don't want to resort to some sort of flimsy rings either.

Has anyone here had to back a scope up further than the mounting would allow on a RAP? What is a good way to do this without breaking the bank and extending it way too far back. Pictures would be great along with a link to where someone can buy a good working solution.

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Don

huntsman22

Blackhawk
Don, I have a EGW 20 moa rail on mine. You can look at the pic and see if it would allow you to move it to where you need to. I got rid of the factory rail, so have no way to compare. No worries using offset rings, if that is what you decide to do. They will be plenty strong. Hope this helps.

the other Don......

IMG_5710_zpspou9oq0i.jpg

huntsman22

Blackhawk
It kinda sounds like you don't 'neck up' much to use your scope. Most folks need to move them forward. Another option would be to swap out the stock for the shorter 'compact' model.....

done111

Bearcat
Do I have to worry about the rail being specifically made for the RAP? I saw one like/similar to yours at Midway, but it said it was for the Rem700. Maybe the curvature of the barrels are the same. I would assume the bolt holes/pattern is the same for the weaver rails, just didn't know about matching curved surfaces between the two pieces. I wouldn't mind getting a 20 moa while making a swap and kill two birds with one stone.

Don