Ruger American Pistol, .45 acp malfunctions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
Last week I got a great deal on a used Ruger American in .45 with case, papers and 4 mags from an LGS one of my co-workers works at. Spent 2.5 hours cleaning it before I took it to the range. It appeared that the only things the previous owner believed in cleaning were the barrel and recoil spring/guide rod assembly. Holy smokes were the frame and slide dirty, especially the internals in the frame. I don't know how many q-tips I went through.

Anyway, shot 125 rounds of strictly 230 grain hardball through it. During the session, experienced about a half dozen failures to feed, most occurrences of that being the round nose diving into the feed ramp and not making it into the chamber. However, I experienced about another half dozen incidents of getting double feeds. So I was getting about one malfunction on every mag. All the mags are Ruger American pistol mags, and I cleaned those as well during my cleaning session.

On the positive side, the pistol is extremely accurate and is a blast to shoot! I've been shooting for over 20 years, being an LEO, so I know that the malfunctions were not due to my shooting mechanics. I don't know how many rounds were shot by the previous owner. Has any one here experienced these malfunctions as well in their RAP .45's, or does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing this or anything I can do, cleaning wise, to reduce the number of these malfunctions? TIA.

Ray

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
20 years as a LEO, he would know by now about limp wristing.
I do not know if Ruger firearms are under a lifetime warranty if the firearm changes hands.
I would communicate with Ruger about the issues.
Blackie

rjm6120

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the suggestions! I was wondering if maybe it was my ammo choice causing these issues, so I'll try being more selective on what I buy and see how that goes. Hopefully it's not something that would involve sending it in to get it fixed.

Mike J

Hunter
Ruger doesn't have a written warranty but they usually do a good job of correcting any issue. They have a good reputation for customer service. As far as what is causing your issues I would have suspected the magazines but I honestly don't know.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
I own three SR1911s, they all shoot well. I gave another to my grandson to use as his Duty
weapon, it also shoots well. Then, I gave a SR1911CMD to a LEO friend of mine, and
he loves it. It has a CT on it. He loves it.
Blackie