Ruger American in 308 at the range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blammer308

Bearcat
Well I managed to get one of these and got it scoped and out to the range.

I had PPU 175gr Match and standard PPU 175gr ammo.

I had a heck of a time zeroing it.

25yds was no problem, got 2 shots touching 1" high.

then moved it to 100dys and then the trouble began.

First it was all my fault. I was excited and just wanted to shoot.

so that's pretty much what I did....

Switching between 147gr and the two types of 175gr ammo really was horrible for trying to zero.
Plus I had a new scope I was unfamiliar with.

After all is said and done. I discovered that the 175gr PPU match will shoot 3" higher than the standard 175gr PPU ammo. Add that to the fact I was moving the cross hairs on the scope twice as far as I thought and sometimes in the wrong direction and it really made a mess for zeroing.

Toss in the 147gr ammo and you have a recipe for just pulling the trigger and making it go boom. :)

All I did to this rifle before firing it was take it completely apart and clean it, then assemble and shoot.

I will have to say I am very pleased with this rifle.

It was 32° this AM when I shot and there was NO breaze or wind at all!

I shot some of these when the barrel was cold, yea freezing cold, and some strings were when the rifle was smoking hot. Made for a good handwarmer, barrel was almost too hot to hold for a long period of time.

Here is my 100yd target I shot with the two types of 175gr PPU ammo. Top group of two is the Match the bottom two is the regular.

Here is my 200yd target with the standard PPU 175gr. The Match 175gr group at 200yds was twice the size.

What did you put on it for a scope?

I'm currently searching for a scope for my RAR in 308...........nothing that breaks the bank.

Steve

admin100

Bearcat
i bought a American compact in 308 for my son and topped it with a Simmons 44mag 4x12x44,loaded 150gr Sierra GKs over 44grs of Varget, and can shoot quarter sized 4 shot groups. what else could you want for under $500.

Blammer308,

That is a great start.

I have approached "first time out" shooting sessions the same way.

It is amazing just how much difference it makes with different bullet weights and ammunition brands.

I normally try and start off with a single type of ammunition to get a feel for how the rifle performs.

I want a Ruger American but I am waiting for some more caliber options.

The 223 will be in stores soon. 8)

A 204 would be great also. 8)

Keep shooting that 308 and posting pictures of your targets.

Bill

oilcangary

Single-Sixer
I put a cheap Simmons 8 point on mine and it works so far. You can bore sight your rifle before you go to the range this should put you close and save ammo. I bore sight my rifles out my bedroom window. I tied a ribbon on a fence post about 50 yards away and set my rifle a rest without the bolt installed. I look through the barrel and get it centered on the ribbon then zero my scope on the ribbon. You have to turn the adjustments backwards when you do this.

rlott

Bearcat
My buddy just bought a compact in 7/08 for his grandson & it's a darn nice rifle. In fact I'm thinking about getting myself one.

Blammer308

Bearcat
I have a bushnell elite 3200 3x9x40 with redfield LOW rings on leupold dovetail mounts. Front dove tail, rear windage adjustable.

Blammer308

Bearcat
left camera at brothers house, no pics.
went to the range with the new mag and some handloads.
new mag works great, as it should.

IMR4895 39.5gr though 41gr with .5gr increment.
150gr Horn spire point
two types of brass
WCC07 and Winchester
each type of brass had a sweet spot for accuracy.
around inch and half or so at 100yds
about 3-5" at 200yds.

I think I'll need to be a better shooter to get better groups. :)

Latest posts