Ruger American Compact - Kid's Deer Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

timalso

Bearcat
If you wish to use a .223, consider some of the 69 grain loads, perhaps hollowpoint solids. Remember, seeing an animal wounded because of poor bullet choice is an equally poor choice.

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
timalso said:
If you wish to use a .223, consider some of the 69 grain loads, perhaps hollowpoint solids. Remember, seeing an animal wounded because of poor bullet choice is an equally poor choice.

There are a number of deer (medium game) specific bullets for the 223 these days. I bought my grandson a crack barrel 223 and some fusion 62 grain ammo. He has bagged 6 deer over the past two seasons. Only one took any steps after being hit. Fusion 223 ammo is readily available and made for medium game. It works extremely well. Anecdotes about the efficacy of various 22 caliber bullets abound. Choosing one made for medium game is the only way to go and when you go that route you'll have an inarguable effective whitetail round. A Ruger American Compact in 223 with fusion ammo is an outstanding choice for a young person.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
All,

Thank you for all of the feedback. In the end, I decided to purchase a Weatherby Vanguard S2 Compact. I just thought it was a bit better gun for not much more money.

I have purchased quite a bit of practice ammo, as well as some Hornady 55 grain GMX ammunition. I hope to lay my hands on some Fusion ammo and hopefully some of the Federal load with the Nosler Partition bullet. Between those three options I should find something that works.

I mounted the scope this week and we should be able to start shooting it in the next week or two.

SR

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I'm going to resurrect a thread from three months ago...

I'm proud to say that my kid killed his first deer this evening. We've spent the past two months practicing - primarily with his .22, but also with his .223. The .223 shoots the Hornady Superformance 55gr GMX load pretty well, so that is what we settled on.

Tonight he got a good broadside shot at a button buck at about 50 yards. My son did his job and the bullet did as well - a complete pass-through that took out the top of the heart. We found the deer about 50 yards away.

I think we will both sleep well tonight.

NVCowboy

Bearcat
Take a look at the RAP models (predator). You can still get a .223 if you want. My son has a .308 at age 13, with a muzzlebreak (as big of a war as .223 for deer) and he loves it. This was after lots of conversations that "its called recoil, not knockback." We have freezer meat (big mule deer doe), because he was more worried about that than a trophy. :shock: What 13 year old is worried about filling the freezer more than the bragging rights of the wall? Non .308 guns come in at 22 inches, and the threaded barrel leaves a few options for reducing the recoil in your garage. I have the same rifle for me, and well, as a person who is still learning the art of rifle craft as a handgun shooter all my life, I like mine too. Took an antelope doe with it in September.