Ruger American Compact 9mm - bad luck so far

Help Support Ruger Forum:

durask

Bearcat
My first Ruger semi auto pistol but had/have other Ruger firearms.

Like the trigger and the fit. However major issues with failure to extract.
I try to shoot lead free ammo and usually use this ammo

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/rws-copper-matrix-ntf-lead-free-round-9-millimeter-50-round-box-cm9-871004005007.do?sortby=priceAscend&refType=&from=fn

https://www.iccammo.com/collections/100-lead-free-frangible-training-ammo/products/9mm-100-gr-100-lead-free-frangible-flat-point-box-of-50

Also use Winchester Super Clean NT (however cannot shoot steel indoors with it since not frangible)

http://www.winchester.com/products/handgun-ammunition/advanced/Super-Clean-NT/Pages/W9MMLF.aspx

RWS - constant failures to extract, every 1-2 shots.
ICC - every 3-4 shorts
Winchester - every 3-4 shots

Sent it to Ruger who replaced the extractor. Better with Winchester - now maybe every 20 shots or so. ICC - every 10 shots or so. RWS - still constant FTE.
The only one it seems to like is American Eagle Syntech - it is not lead free, it is lead coated with polymer and lead free primer so theoretically no lead residue when shooting (however once again can't shoot steel indoors).

Now, there is no mention of any other work having been done - however the slide became extremely hard to rack, more so than any single handgun I've ever handled. Also when I disassembled it, the spring got off the rod and I can't put it back on, it's stiff as a rock.
So, sending it back to Ruger. I hope they can make it work since I do like the gun otherwise.

DonD

Single-Sixer
Sorry for all the issues. I have faith that the second time around, they'll make sure it's right and maybe you'll have a gun you love. Don

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Gun Tests did a review of the RAP in 9MM in their latest issue and gave it a poor rating, had problems with the spring and guide rod too. The article was "American-Made 9mms: Ruger, Springfield, and Honor Defense"

They had several issues with the one they bought and tested it seems, did not like the trigger pull either.

Fourth Horseman

Bearcat
Sorry to hear of the problems with your RAP compact. My full sized RAP 9mm has been great, eating all the different 9mm loads I've fed it. I wonder if they're having recoil spring issues with the compact models.

oldgreywolf

Bearcat
My compact has had no issues with ammo. I have run multiple brands and bullet types with positive results....did have to send it back to Ruger to adjust the mag release...very fast turn around.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Gun definitely has a problem if it won't eat RWS, that is some good stuff.

Stopped in at the fun store yesterday to pick up an order and browse around. Under the glass they had six SR series pistols and not one RAP. They had three different LCP I's and one LCP II. The owner said the SR and original LCP still outsell their would-be replacements by a comfortable margin. He also said a lot of folks come in to look at the RAP and leave with an SR.

Scotsman1886

Bearcat
You might have a bad egg. Both my full size that I use for work and my compact RAPs have been flawless.
Like anything made by man, it can have issues.
Don't give up

Mike J

Hunter
Hopefully Ruger will make it right. We have a full size 9mm. I like it. I honestly prefer the RAP to the SR series guns.

tonkota

Bearcat
I have the pro (non-safety) version and I have had one stove pipe in 550 rounds. Tulammo, steel case. The firearm was filthy after this ammo, so I won't purchase this again. Stinks you have had issues.

scubadad

Bearcat
Wife has the sr45. Much better trigger than the american. Had to send it back for light strikes but it has been flawless since we got it back.

As far as lcp vs lcp2 I went with the 2.

Latest posts