Ruger American Compact 22 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Just thought I would share my views on my R/A 22 magnum rifle. Had it now for 6 years and have been very pleased with the accuracy and handiness of this rifle. Added a Vortex Crossfire 2 2x7-32 scope which makes it a fine woods varmint gun. Missed the shorter barrel of my Ruger Sporter 10/22 so jumped on this one when I saw Ruger offered it witha18 inch barrel. Accuracy has been great with CCI 40 grain H.P. ammo. Gun fits me great since I added the standard stock module for greater L.O.P. Adds another 1 1/4 inches I believe. First synthetic for me and stock does not feel chintzy at all. Sure glad Ruger gave the rimfire line a glossy bluing or black oxide finish. Like to hear others views or experiences with this model. Mine is the 8323. Paid around $275 back then and have noticed the price has gone up since my purchase for sure.

My 17 HMR suppressor host is a RAR compact. I won't say it's laser beam accurate and it's major flaw is only functioning with CCI 'green' ammo but it is adequate for most of my purposes.
The 'bluing' is thin and easily marred so extreme care must be taken or it ain't purty no more. The plastic stock holds up pretty well and the magazine is nearly perfect although mags tend to accumulate dust if the gun is hauled around in the open.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Thanks for reply. Was always wondering about that tooling black oxide and durability. Mine still seems factory fresh. That 17 HMR can sure drill holes. Tried my neighbors a few years back. Has a Savage that amazed me for accuracy. One caliber that really took off for sure. Best of luck with yours.

57springer

Buckeye
I bought both the 22 and the 22wmr a while back. Both shoot well only complaint was the "gritty " bolt from new . That has slowly worked out just from shooting them .

I have the compact American in 22 LR and also added the standard stock. It is very accurate with groups under .5" at 50 yards.

I have the standard American in 17 HMR as well. It will shoot just under an inch at 100 yards.

I also have American rifles in 223, 243 (Predator), and 308. All 3 shoot under an inch at 100 yards. Amazing guns, especially for the price.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Warming up lately to synthetic stocked guns like my R/A. Being a bit vintage in age myself took a while as so used to walnut from the past I took them for granted. Guess the price of Claro and Black Walnut have risen substantially over the years. Today I have noticed a much more "utilitarian" breed of guns from the manufacturers. Cost of materials and labor sure make a difference. Often think of the old Remington Nylon series I was considering back in 68 but a Ruger 10/22 won me over by a long shot.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I own two Ruger Americans, the Hb target version and the Compact version. Both are threaded and both shoot quite well with ammo they like with teh can or with it. I also have the Ruger Precision .22lr, which is an American in disguise and it shoots well too.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Yeah seems so many offered in target versions I have noticed. Those green stock versions are attractive actually. like my R/A with 18 inch barrel instead of the 22 incher on that marlin I had. Accuracy has not suffered one bit.

wproct

Single-Sixer
When the Ruger American Rimfire was introduced I was very interested and wanted to get one. I didn't need another bolt action .22 lr rifle, but I didn't have one in .22 magnum so decided to buy one in that caliber. I really wanted the 18 inch heavy bbl model, but at the gunshow the one that the dealer had in that barrel configuration didn't sit in the stock right and was rubbing against the stock on one side. The dealer had one in 22 inch bbl that didn't have that problem so that is the one I brought home.

I was immediately impressed with the action, the trigger pull was nice and crisp to start with but replacing the trigger return spring with one in lighter gauge made it even nicer. The accuracy mine displayed was not remarkable but was plenty acceptable for a hunting rifle. The blue finish of my rifle is nice for this price range but the barrel has kind of a flaw. There is about a 6 inch length in the barrel that has sort of a rough finish, like it wasn't adequately buffed out prior to the blue process. I really should have contacted Ruger and sent it back to be corrected, but it was a hunting rifle and it just wasn't that big of a deal to me. I actually like the synthetic stock pretty well and the replaceable stock modules are nice. I have owned several 77/22 rifles in the past and they are definitely a nicer rifle but I kind of like the Ruger American Rimfire rifle better.

rex1

Bearcat
when the RAP came out i bought 2, 308 and 22-250 both have been better shots than me. I remember folks calling them pie plate rifles(maybe would put 3 shoots in a plate at a hundred) they would laugh at me , took a while for them to catch on

Latest posts