Ruger American 7.62 Mag Fed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I have a few questions regarding the Ruger American in 7.62X39 using the detach magazine.

I'll toss the plastic stock and buy wood. Is Boyds the only option? I' not too keen on spending about $150.00 on a rifle that cost me about $400.00. Also on the stock, the trigger guard is part of the plastic factory issue, what to do about having one with a switch to wood?

The mag release is plastic, would I be correct that a Mini 14 mag release would work as well? Speaking of magazines, I presume Ruger Mini 30 works best, any other brands work fine?

Also, what is the muzzle threading - AR 15 type or AR 10 type, or something else?

Thanks -

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Boyds provides a replacement trigger guard with it's Ruger American wood stocks. It's also plastic but it works.

Pro Mag makes Mini 30 magazines but I'd avoid them and stick with the Ruger factory magazines. Pro Mag has a highly variable record for magazine quality.

The threading is 5/8"-24 or "AR-10" type.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Got it, thank you for the help. Does the plastic trigger guard come with the stock? I see they sell a steel one for $22.50 and for now would pass on it.

I bought a CZ 527 in 7.62X39 because I wanted to do some 30 caliber "plinking" with cheap ammo and not bother reloading after a day of fun. The CZ turned out to be so accurate that I bought dies and reload for it. Hopefully the Ruger does as well.

Pops7.62

Bearcat
Newb to this site. Mrs.Santa accompanied me to a local GS a few days before Christmas and said: "go ahead, that's what you've been itching for". And I had been. The American in 7.62x39 just makes sense. It shoots Hornady 123gr SSTs into a tiny group and it's just plain fun. I said all that to say this: where can I find 10 round factory mags at a somewhat decent price? Or am I just outta luck?
Thanks for y'all's consideration and Happy New Year!

mikem2

Single-Sixer
The Pro-Mags function fine. One Pro-Mag ten round I have needed to be touched up with a Dremel on both clip points on the mag just a small amount. Feeds just fine.

The RAR 7.62x39 is a fun rifle. Accurate with steel cased FMJ and HP.