Ruger American 300 Blackout mag problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

canonsix

Bearcat
I have read a mess of complaints about the mags, any on ehave any idea is Ruger is going to comer out with a replacement??? Doug

9x19

Hunter
No problems with the four magazines I have... I use them interchangeably in my 5.56 and .300 Ranch rifles.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Mine are crap. I found that loading the mag and let it set loaded helped with feeding.

Kanook

Buckeye
Big Old Boy said:
Mine are crap. I found that loading the mag and let it set loaded helped with feeding.
Is your problem with heavy (subs) or with light (supers)?

From what I have learned is some sub sonic loads have a OAL that may cause feeding problems with AR mags, wondering if this is the same?

I have 4 mags. I only shoot light supersonic ammunition. Factory 110's and my 125 grain Nosler/Hornady reloads.

When I first got it, I had some problems with the first round in the magazine not feeding correctly. It would not feed correctly and the nose of the round would shoot up too high and miss the chamber.

I discovered that I could load 6 rounds into the magazines and that I had not been counting them into the magazine. I started making sure I only loaded 5.

I also kept the magazines loaded between range trips. I think that this helped but I can not say how. Problem corrected after attention to loading 5 and keeping them loaded for a few days.

My magazine issues have disappeared. I keep reading about folks with magazine issues so I know that the problem was real and frustrated many owners. Everything I have been reading indicates that Ruger will replace magazines that are not working for you.

This rifle is becoming a great shooter. I installed a Seekins Precision muzzle device that I had sitting on my bench. The rifle has no recoil and I am able to get an inch at 100 yards if I do my part. I have never fired anything over 125 grains. Reloading is fast and easy.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/parts-and-accessories/muzzle-devices/ar-atc-muzzle-brake.html

If you were considering a 300AAC bolt gun, do not let this magazine issue stand in your way. I have been shooting mine every weekend and it is a joy. Need to get out and take a coyote with it.

Bill

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Bill it was your post a while back that fixed my mags I now store them loaded and have no issues , thanks Bill, Bob.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Ah, this thread did the trick, I am now free. I had been beset with the notion of trading for a Ruger American, the only thing slowing me down were the feeding issues reported here and in other, many other, places. A bolt action rifle that cannot feed itself has drifted much too far away from the Mauser 98. Quo Vadis?