Ruger American 22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aquaholic

Bearcat
I hate it when a new guy comes in on a Forum with a problem....

But thats usually what it takes for them to join....lol

I recently acquired an American 22, its shot great the last 3-4 times I have taken it out, I changed the scope out and took it to the range to zero it in....when I got there I could not get it to fire a bullet,it shot just fine last time out, all I got was a weak click, not the slightest strike mark...Firing pin in the bolt broken? Or is there a known problem with these guns?

Precision32

Blackhawk
I've worked on a lot of 10-22s. I have only found one that had the firing in with enough protrusion. Their should be a minimum of 0.025" of firing pin sticking up beyond the rim cut. When I do a "slick & shine" I set the projection to 0.035". I don't have misfires, no matter what ammo I shoot.

xtratoy

Buckeye
Did you just change just the scope or the bases too? A too long screw in the scope base could maybe bind the bolt to the point of of a malfunction.

9x19

Hunter
xtratoy said:
Did you just change just the scope or the bases too? A too long screw in the scope base could maybe bind the bolt to the point of of a malfunction.

+1

Since it stopped working after you made changes, revisit those changes.

I've not heard any complaints of light strikes with the American Rimfires, here or at RFC.

Aquaholic

Bearcat
I just removed the scope and mounts....still the same...the trigger releases but its a dull thump vs a crisp click, Its not even a light strike...there are no marks on the shell at all...

9x19

Hunter
You can easily pull the rear shroud and striker spring off the bolt to make sure the striker is moving freely, just hold the bolt body firmly and rotate the bolt handle clockwise to lower the striker, then press the end of the shroud against a hard surface while pressing out the bolt cross pin.

After that the shroud and spring will come off, then you can check to make sure the striker moves freely.

If needed, you can finish taking the bolt apart: you'll have to remove the extractor spring by pulling outward on the tip of the extractor then prying up on the spring with a small screwdriver blade. Then you can rotate the spring off the bolt and that will free up the extractor and striker.

9x19

Hunter
No, it shouldn't... something is hanging up your striker... any chance a drop of loc-tite from the scope base screws found it's way to the top of the bolt?

Trust me, you wouldn't be the first to have it happen. :oops:

Aquaholic

Bearcat
I dont think so....I took it to a local gun shop Sunday....they seem to think something came loose in the trigger assembly....Ill update when fixed....thanks for all the replies..

Latest posts