Ruger 95 Double Action Pull

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rylandman

Bearcat
My Ruger P95 has developed an extremely long double action pull. It has become difficult to fire on double action. The linkage appears to be too long.
I have been dry firing the pistol.
Does anyone have a fix?

Rylandman

Bearcat
Yes, almost not enough trigger travel to make the P95 fire double action. It does fire but almost like a hang. Would dry firing cause this problem?
Thanks for the reply.

tightgrouper

Bearcat
There are people that say dry-firing does no harm, but I don't recommend it. I don't think a dry-fire now and then really does any damage, but to consistantly dry-fire again and again, I think that could cause the fireing system to wear out of spec, and begin to function improperly.
The fireing mechanism is built to hit resistance at the end of the line. (the ignition primer)
I wish I knew more about what problem/s could occur. Hopefully someone with more knowledge with chime in.

NC-P95

Bearcat
tightgrouper":125el7ia said:
There are people that say dry-firing does no harm, but I don't recommend it. I don't think a dry-fire now and then really does any damage, but to consistantly dry-fire again and again, I think that could cause the fireing system to wear out of spec, and begin to function improperly.
The fireing mechanism is built to hit resistance at the end of the line. (the ignition primer)
I wish I knew more about what problem/s could occur. Hopefully someone with more knowledge with chime in.

Ruger's website, in the FAQ section, says that it's OK to dry fire Ruger pistols:

"Yes. All Ruger pistols can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm."

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
NC-P95":2dyb2w10 said:
tightgrouper":2dyb2w10 said:

Ruger's website, in the FAQ section, says that it's OK to dry fire Ruger pistols:

"Yes. All Ruger pistols can be dry fired without damage, and dry firing can be useful to familiarize the owner with the firearm."

I've been advised this and read this also, but I still can't make myself do it :)

Maybe I'll pick up some snap caps...

Mike J

Hunter
I have dry fired my P-944 countless times as well as putting somewhere around 2500-3000 rounds through it. The only difference I can tell is the trigger feels a lot better to me now. I believe the use has actually smoothed it.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
The problem was definitely not caused by dry firing. I and countless others have dry fired our P95's thousands of times, and the only result has been a smoother trigger.... Dry firing in no way stresses a gun in ways that simply firing a round doesn't. (assuming of course the gun was designed to be dry fired)