Ruger 77RLS Refurbish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Just picked up a new to me tang safety RLS. She's seen some use, but not real abuse. The stock has a few dings and could stand to be refinished, the aluminum needs repainted, and maybe a reblue, but probably not. She replaces one that had no sights. She shoots well and now wears a 2-7 leupie. She will be a woods whitetail rifle, like her predecessor. The big question is should I refinish the stock to look like the factory, or should I put real ebony on the forend, fill it and give it a nice handrubbed finish, or does someone have a better idea. All my others are factory style.
any thoughts
Bfly

3DTESTIFY

Single-Sixer
Like Jim say's, just leave it. The RLS rifles are fairly rare & have a mild collector value. I think there were something like 250 produced in each LA caliber .270 & .30-06, and SA caliber .243 & .308, totalling 1,000 units. Refinishing would devalue the rifle & if it's to be used for hunting, leave it original. That said, I have a RLS in .308 that is a hunter and originally considered refinishing, ultimately deciding against. If I were to refinish, I would definitely go back to matching the original finish as closely as possible. By the way, you have chosen a nice scope for your rifle, keeping it light weight & well balanced.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Thanks. I had not given thought to the low number made. I knew there were not many, but didn't think it was that few. She'll stay as is.
Bfly