Ruger 77 RST in 257 Roberts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azprancer

Bearcat
Guys,
From out of the deep reaches of one of my gun vaults comes a "Safe Queen", a Ruger 77 RST/Round Top/ Ruger sights/medium 24" barrel/long action and in 257 Roberts. Serial # is 70-6011X, I purchased it new in 1973 shortly after returning from Viet-Nam, I hear they are fairly uncommon in this day and age.........does anyone have any info on the quantity produced and the wholesaler they were built for ( and IF it was a distributor exclusive) ? Thanks for ANY assistance !
Azprancer

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I don't know any details, but that's a great configuration. I don't know if Ruger was doing any "distributor specials" at that early date -I guess I'd be surprised if so, but I'm not a Ruger historian or collector. I have an RST 7 mm Remington Magnum, that's my elk rifle. I've never seen a round top/sights in .257. I had another one years ago in .270 Win. But traded it off at some point.

Hi if I recall correctly they were a non cataloged gun so I don't believe there were a lot of them made I have owned two of them I still have one but sold the other at the time I sold the one I did they were bringing $900-$1100 that was about ten years ago I haven't seen one for sale in a long time so I have no idea what they are worth today I would guess they would still bring $800 + JMO

Gramps

I have two 257's. One is the rarer 77PL model round top no sights
roberts1.JPG

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I can't guess their current value, especially in like new condition. But I bought one in summer or early fall of 1972 or might have been 73. I think it was $169.95. At the time I was told that Ruger made 2000 in the 24 inch heavy barrel Round top configuration. I bought the only 2 boxes of 257 Roberts Winchester 100 grain Silvertips that they had. I didn't see another box of 257 ammo for years after. Mine has been rode hard and put up wet. Probably a couple thousand rounds, a lot of groundhogs, whitetails and years left a lot of dings and a lot of patina. She's a bit of a heavy girl, a deliberate rifle, but she still shoots good.
Bfly