Ruger 77 RL chamberings?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RememberBaker

Bearcat
Of the Ruger 77 variations, my favorites are the RL's. I've got one in .257 Roberts and just picked one up in .250 Savage. I've seen them chambered in a number of other cartridges, .223 Rem, .243 Win, .308 Win, .270 Win as well as the 30-06. Does anyone have a list of the cartridges that have been offered as RL's? Lacking that, what other cartridges have you seen them in? I would love to find one in 6.5X55 if that was ever an offering.

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
RememberBaker said:
Of the Ruger 77 variations, my favorites are the RL's. I've got one in .257 Roberts and just picked one up in .250 Savage. I've seen them chambered in a number of other cartridges, .223 Rem, .243 Win, .308 Win, .270 Win as well as the 30-06. Does anyone have a list of the cartridges that have been offered as RL's? Lacking that, what other cartridges have you seen them in? I would love to find one in 6.5X55 if that was ever an offering.

Hey RememberBaker, I don't mean to distract from your thread or change the subject, but would you mind giving me a quick list of the Ruger 77 variations? I don't know what "RL" means. I know the older 77s had tang safeties, some had sights, and others came with scope rings that attached to the grooves on top of the receivers eliminating the need for bases. But I've never had any idea what the letters after M-77 meant. :?:

My old M-77 30-06, as well as my wife's old M-77 7mm-08 came with scope rings but no sights. And the scope rings for both rifles attach to the "built in" bases. I don't remember what the letters are after the "M-77" for either rifle, and I don't have either rifle here to look at.

I'm mostly just curious. I see a lot of posts on the Ruger Forum about the M-77 "this or that" letter, but I've never knew what the letters mean. :?:

Anyway, Thanks! :D

3DTESTIFY

Single-Sixer
I'll go ahead & take a stab at the question. The following would be referring to the M77 tang safety rifles.

M77R = Std. rifle with rings, no sights.
M77RS = Std. rifle with rings & sights.
M77S = Std. rifle with sights, shipped without rings.
M77RL = Ultralight 20" barrel with rings, no sights in Ultralight stock.
M77RSI = "International" Ultralight 18-1/2" barrel with rings & sights in Mannlicher stock.
M77RLS = "carbine" Ultralight 18-1/2" barrel with rings & sights in Ultralight stock.
M77V = "Varmint" rifle with heavy 24" varmint barrel, 26" barrel in .220 Swift.
M77ST = Std. rifle in special round top receiver with sights.
M77PL = Std. rifle in special round top receiver with no sights.
M77RSC = Magnum rifle with rings & sights in Circassian walnut stock.

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
Thanks 3D. :D
Wow! I had no idea there were that many variations of the old, tang-safety M-77s. I went ahead and printed your list off.
I guess what the wife and I have are the standard M-77Rs. Like I said, mine's a 30-06 and the wife's is a 7mm-08. Both are great rifles.

picketpin

Buckeye
AS an aside I think the PLs were only 270s and 30-06s and mostly ordered by and sold by the Big Box stores to keep the rifle at the absolute minimum price. The only way you can tell if a 270 or 30-06 is a PL is if you happen to have the box so marked. There is nothing else that indicates it.

The Round tops STs were chambered in nearly all of the long action cartridges. There was a bit of push back from some shooters when the 77 was introduced and they complained about the integral ring/receiver set up so Ruger made the ST. It has the same profile and shape as a Remington Model 700 so the scope bases are identical. There are also some of the Howas sold as Weatherby Vangaurds that use the same bases. I have STs from 257 Roberts (the first "Bob" introduced in 1972) up through 338WM.

RWT