Ruger 77 MK II safety problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pheasant

Bearcat
I have a ruger 77 MK II S.S. 270 Cal. Was deer hunting the other day, this rifle has the three postion saftey. When I went to unload it, I grabbed the bolt with the saftey all the way back, in the on position. The bolt lifted up half way up, but it wouldn't came back to eject the shell. So then I thought I need to move the saftey to the middle position, then I push the saftey to the middle postion and It went off !! damm near crapped my pants. I've tried it " yes with the ammo out" again and it will fire every time if you lift the bolt half way up with the saftey on and then move the saftey to the half way position with out touching the tigger. This is the first year I've used this rifle, been setting in the safe, only been fired to sight in the scope. My other 77 MKII you can't left the bolt at all with the saftey all the way on. Has any body else had this problem?

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Did you buy this used? Sounds like a timney trigger was installed and the safety which must be fitted was not properly fitted. If that is the case you need a new trigger as to much metal was removed as the trigger was fitted to the safety. If it is the factory trigger I would be calling ruger first thing monday morning.

mattsbox99

Hunter
The pin that locks the bolt isn't part of the trigger, but I bet your trigger has been worked on and the sear had too much metal taken off.

I bet if you call Ruger they will replace all that for you, or you might find a trigger here if you place an ad in the classifieds.

mattsbox99

Hunter
The pin that locks the bolt isn't part of the trigger, but I bet your trigger has been worked on and the sear had too much metal taken off.

I bet if you call Ruger they will replace all that for you, or you might find a trigger here if you place an ad in the classifieds.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
mattsbox99":gn06amkf said:

Being a safety issue Ruger will definitely replace it. The safety is not part of the trigger. But if the sear is not holding proper tension on the safety lever the lever may not index in the right spot. If the safety lever does not index in the right spot the bolt lock pin will not engage properly.

A

Anonymous

I would agree with the send it back to ruger camp. I bought my Rem. 700 used and the previous owner had tried to adjust the trigger to the point I was worried about the safety of it . My attempts to reverse his efforts were not satisfactory so I took it to a area certified service center. 15 min and $30 later I have a rifle that got a good checkup and a really sweet hunting trigger that breaks like glass at 3.5lbs. Best gun value I ever got for $30

pheasant

Bearcat
Phoned Ruger today, they said send it to them. They said the bolt should not move at all with they saftey on. They very nice told me they would get it fixed and send it back. It's all factory I've never miss with it. Thanks for all the help.