Ruger 77 all weather 7.62x39

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bearcat
I have an unfired Ruger all weather 77 in 7.62x39. I think they only made them in 1991(?) . Questions. I know they are somewhat collectible, but how do they shoot? I have US made commercial ammo for it. I am debating on selling it the way it is , unfired. Or shooting it .(?)
20220522_134333.jpg

hittman

Staff member
May have been an exclusive from the now closed Williams Shooters Supply of Quincy, Illinois.
Yes, collectible.
No idea on value.
Your best info on this would come from member Chet15 and RENE.
I regret not buying one!

Bearcat
I boresighed it. But wonder if it's worth shooting, since it's been unfired for 30 years. Lol
20220522_134352.jpg

May have been an exclusive from the now closed Williams Shooters Supply of Quincy, Illinois.
Yes, collectible.
No idea on value.
Your best info on this would come from member Chet15 and RENE.
I regret not buying one!
Thank You. Ok. So it's collectible. I just wonder if they shot well. It just sits here. I bought it years ago. I have other guns in that caliber. I think if eventually a collector would buy it , they would prefer it to be unfired. I think.

Seems a waste to throw away the 'unfired' label in the interest of discovering quite possibly uninteresting performance.
Many years ago, I found a NIB Remington 799(?) in 7.62x39 thinking it would make a good kids' deer rifle. Mounted a scope and took it to the range. Yeah, that was a disappointment but no going back to that NIB condition. It wasn't a total dog but between the unremarkable accuracy and numerous feeding issues, I sure wished I'd not spent the money and then blew away the NIB label just to find out.
Your unfired rifle will probably fund a 7.62x39 Ranch and 1000 rounds(or more) of good quality ammo.

It will shoot, although I'm not sure that it likes steel. My nephew has been hunting with one for over 20 years. I would love to have one but I would imagine if I had one in unfired condition, I would sell it.

Bearcat
That's exactly what I'm thinking. A Ruger collector would appreciate it a lot more unfired. I got plenty of stuff to take to the range. I was just curious if those guns shot well in 7.62x39 . I am a new member here. I will figure out how and list it.

Last edited:
I've heard numerous times(and probably said it myself) that the7.62x39 is "inherently inaccurate". This isn't ALWAYS true as many of us have discovered. I just feel there are better places to start looking for a cheap ammo plinker/ short range deer rifle.

Bearcat
I've heard numerous times(and probably said it myself) that the7.62x39 is "inherently inaccurate". This isn't ALWAYS true as many of us have discovered. I just feel there are better places to start looking for a cheap ammo plinker/ short range deer rifle.
I figured it's a collectors item now. Will be for sale eventually

hittman

Staff member
Also called Skeleton Stock I think.
I've got a stainless 10/22 wearing one of those. Makes for a beautiful rifle.

I have some experience with a couple different Ruger rifles chambered in 7.62x39.

Accuracy is pre-determined by the ammo used.

Steel cased rooshkie ammo, mediocre accuracy.

High dollar domestic brass cased ammo, phenominal accuracy.

Problem is, quality 7.62x39 ammo costs substantially more than quality .308 ammo. So, I separated myself from the 7.62x39 chamberings in my bolt action hunting arsenal.

The 7.62x39 chambering however, still remains a wonderful compromise.

And I agree, the price should be North of $1000. Probably way North.

Last edited:

Snake Pleskin

Banned
The 7,62x39 is not "inherently" inaccurate, which in itself is an oxymoron. The round is quite accurate when fired from a "real" rifle and not some military piece that was never designed to group better than 4-5 in at 100 meters! I have a CZ 527 that shoots very well.

The 7,62x39 is not "inherently" inaccurate, which in itself is an oxymoron. The round is quite accurate when fired from a "real" rifle and not some military piece that was never designed to group better than 4-5 in at 100 meters! I have a CZ 527 that shoots very well.

Exactly right - and as WAYNO mentioned, accuracy depends on the specific AMMUNITION used, as well as the rifle and rifleman. Case in point: I bought a Savage 110 from a friend, many years ago. Using military surplus .30-06 M2 ball ammo, the rifle shot mediocre groups. Using Norma 150 gr Jaktmatch, it shot one-hole groups. A lot of folks buy rifles chambered for 7.62x39, feed them nothing but 'El Cheapo' mil-spec steel case ammo, and then pronounce the cartridge or rifle "inaccurate".

Last edited:

Rocdoc

Buckeye
The wood inserts are interesting, not included on Ruger cataloged models, they used plastic, think first green, later black. The cool thing about the wood inserts is they were produced by Lett manufacturing, Bill Lett was WBR's best friend growing up. Lett was the wood grip supplier to Ruger, and they offered the wood inserts aftermarket, or obviously on exclusives when ordered. I was very lucky to be able to get a set of the original inserts from Bill Lett Jr, he has been selling off some of the leftovers from the old factory.

Latest posts