Ruger 77/44 Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Really liking this rifle. And this rifle really likes 240 grain bullets. I mounted a Bushnell Banner 4 power scope with the Circle-X reticle. I also added a Limb Saver slip on pad to add to the length of pull. Not sure that I will keep the pad on. Recoil was negligent to me either way.

Groups were all fired at 50 yards. The top group is with my reloads consisting of 240 XTP HP's over H-110. The Bottom group is with factory Magtech ammo with 240 grain JSP's. I didn't take my chronograph so don't know velocities. The 240 XTP's also shoot very well in my 12 inch Encore, and I have a few hundred of them so they will be what I use in this.

Hornady factory loads with 300 grain XTP's shot into just over an inch. But point of aim was 7 inches low. That puzzled me. Some factory Remington 180 grain JHP's went into about an 1.5 inches as did Hornady gummie tips.

My only complaint is that the magazine is hard to put in and take out. I have to jockey it back and forth to work. Other than that little nusance, this is a fun and handy little rifle.

160rdvl.jpg

fvz392.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
WOW!!!! That rifle is a shooter. :D

For the mag problem. Lay the rifle on it's side and use you thumb and index finger tips to insert and remove the mag with the bolt open. They can be a little tricky. :D

Also when you reload, be careful of your OAL, which is limited by the mag. I found my 300 +gr lwfn tend too be too long. I shoot them as a single shot rifle.
gramps