Ruger 77/357 range limitations for varmints and whitetail?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake Pleskin

Banned
I've owned a beautiful 77/357 for about 10 years now. Bought on a whim at a time when they were not really common, the little fella sat unappreciated for almost 2 years before really getting the attention it deserved.
Almost exclusively I've fired home cast 125 RN to 140 grain SWC slugs over Trailboss. And always at the range. Rounds cost me about 6 cents each and show great precision at 50 yards. I've scoped it with a 2-7 Leupold Rifleman. Scaled nicely to the carbine it's a graceful, slim and sexy range toy. With a bipod it's great for introducing new shooters to the sport. Simple and low recoiling,I just really enjoy this little gun.
At times the in the last several years I've wondered what more practical applications this little carbine might have than range fun. My daughter and SIL have moved to an 80 acre farm along the Ohio river area and now have 2 lambs, several hogs, turkeys, two calves, 9 show dogs and over 50 chickens. Did I say there are coyotes too? And deer. Hmm.
I reload both .357 and .38 Special. And even though I hate to buy jacketed slugs I could do so if there was a good reason. What sort of maximum ranges on coyote and whitetail deer should I limit myself to with jacketed .357's from a carbine barrel? Provided I can maintain the accuracy needed for humane shot placement? I just don't see much information online like this. Mostly, load suggestions deal with the best brush-busting loads for .357. But there is a goodly amount of open field on my daughter's farm.
Anyone use their 77/357 for serious hunting applications? What loads do you prefer please?
Thank you as always, Don
There are always exceptions and you will hear from people killing deer at 8000yds!!!?? with the .357, but to be safe, you need to be close too or under 100 yrds to ensure a clean humane kill.(IMHO) I own several .357 SA's and Carbines both Marlin & Rossi and they all shoot great, but the cartridge is what it is, and was neevr designed to be used at extended range. It always amazes me the "experts" we have that know more than all the Engineers, Ballisticians and Scientist that build and test these rounds. just amazing(IMHO)

TREE 'EM

Bearcat
There are always exceptions and you will hear from people killing deer at 8000yds!!!?? with the .357, but to be safe, you need to be close too or under 100 yrds to ensure a clean humane kill.(IMHO) I own several .357 SA's and Carbines both Marlin & Rossi and they all shoot great, but the cartridge is what it is, and was neevr designed to be used at extended range. It always amazes me the "experts" we have that know more than all the Engineers, Ballisticians and Scientist that build and test these rounds. just amazing(IMHO)
My Marlin 336 runs 180 grain loads at just over 2000 FPS. With a 100 yard zero it drops about 14" at 200 yards with an impact velocity of about 1325 FPS, which I consider the upper limit of its capabilities.
My Ruger 77/357 runs 180 grain loads at just under 1900 FPS. With a 100 yard zero it drops about 15" at 200 yards with an impact velocity of about 1300 FPS

Please find me the deer that can tell the difference between which one it was hit with.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
My Marlin 336 runs 180 grain loads at just over 2000 FPS. With a 100 yard zero it drops about 14" at 200 yards with an impact velocity of about 1325 FPS, which I consider the upper limit of its capabilities.
My Ruger 77/357 runs 180 grain loads at just under 1900 FPS. With a 100 yard zero it drops about 15" at 200 yards with an impact velocity of about 1300 FPS

Please find me the deer that can tell the difference between which one it was hit with.
At 200 that is a considerable hold over. Provided you can make the proper hold over adjustment and it is a good solid hit every time, and the deer did not move, tale a step, quarter to you, lift or drop its head, no branch or twig in the way, then No difference. But, what are the chances of that not happening if you are honest? Then we have wounded deer regardless of the firearm being used. Why not actually "hunt" and get within the 100 yd window?

TREE 'EM

Bearcat
At 200 that is a considerable hold over. Provided you can make the proper hold over adjustment and it is a good solid hit every time, and the deer did not move, tale a step, quarter to you, lift or drop its head, no branch or twig in the way, then No difference. But, what are the chances of that not happening if you are honest? Then we have wounded deer regardless of the firearm being used. Why not actually "hunt" and get within the 100 yd window?
Thus lies the difference between theoretical knowledge and actual experience.

I did some extensive field testing at work with my 35 Rem and 180 gr hard cast Keith style bullets. 300 deer at ranges from 8 to 200 yards were part of my research. Based on that research, and comparing numbers, there is an insignificant statistical difference between the loads from my 35 and 357. I'd hedge a guess that if you laid out all the deer end to end which taken with a 35 Rem at distances between 100 and 200 yards it would span coast to coast.

Full disclosure, I'm a full time Animal Damage Control Professional with 42 years in the field. My pay on deer contracts is performance based, therefore I'm motivated to make clean kills.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
Thus lies the difference between theoretical knowledge and actual experience.

I did some extensive field testing at work with my 35 Rem and 180 gr hard cast Keith style bullets. 300 deer at ranges from 8 to 200 yards were part of my research. Based on that research, and comparing numbers, there is an insignificant statistical difference between the loads from my 35 and 357. I'd hedge a guess that if you laid out all the deer end to end which taken with a 35 Rem at distances between 100 and 200 yards it would span coast to coast.

Full disclosure, I'm a full time Animal Damage Control Professional with 42 years in the field. My pay on deer contracts is performance based, therefore I'm motivated to make clean kills.
works for me. Fascinating job!

kean57

Single-Sixer

Hello! I'm curious about the powder and load data that you're using. After looking at load data from all the major powder manufacturers, the fastest they show any 180 grain bullet out of a rifle-length barrel in .357 is still under 1400 fps... and that is with a jacketed bullet. My own .357 rifle load for my Ruger 77/357 pushes a 158 grain JHP/JSP to an average of 1740 fPS, and that's toward the top end for that combination. How are you achieving those velocities?