Ruger 77/22RSI Picture Thread

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
If you have one of these little carbines, post up a picture of how yours is set up...I'd love to see 'em!

Here's a follow-up report about my 77/22RSI 22Magnum...

After getting it back from Ruger's Customer Service Department last year, I decided to put it in the back of the safe and give it some time before deciding whether or not I was going to keep it and shoot it or sell it unfired by me. I'm VERY GLAD I DID!!! I pulled the little carbine out this year and topped it with the vintage Leupold M8 scope I had on my 77RSL. I then took it to the range with a variety of ammo and sighted it in. It favored heavier bullets and really liked the 40gr CCI MAXI-MAG TMJ's. Here's the test target for the CCI's...

As noted on the target, I think the group probably would have been better with a trigger job and a higher power scope, but I'm pretty happy with the accuracy considering this was the first 5 shots with this ammo and I was using a fixed 3X scope with a CPC reticle. After I got it home, I ordered a rear peep blade for a Mini-14 Ranch from Ruger and drilled out the aperture to make a "One Ragged Hole" style system for the back-up rear sight. I also ordered a sling from ChrisLeatherWorks and a 1" screw in rear sling loop from GrovTec. Chris nailed the color on the sling and the one piece swivel keeps the sling quiet and gives the set-up a clean, low profile look. I still need to get the trigger sorted out, but overall, I'm really loving the way this "miniature" safari rifle turned out. Thank You Ruger Customer Service for fixing this little bolt gun for me.... it's not going anywhere.

I took it to the range again recently and set up a trial "Animal Cracker Safari" at 25 yards to see how it would work out when I get to take my nephews out again with the .22's I bought them a while ago. I took two strips of cardboard and secured them back to back with long staples, then slid the feet of the "stale" animal crackers into the top edge of the sandwiched cardboard. This gave me a line of tiny targets that "powder" on impact. Turned out to be pretty fun shooting at the micro-herd of African critters and there was nothing to pick up afterward except the target stand. I wish I thought to take a picture of the set-up. If I go out with my nephews, I'll be sure to take some pictures.

Stump

PS - (In case we have some knife nuts lurking here as well)...The knife is a AA Forge XXL Bushcrafter by Adam Gray and the sheath is by Voyager Leatherworks. Adam makes the BEST feeling handle I have ever held on a custom knife this size. The blade steel is A2 and the handle is Thunderstorm Kevlar with Blaze Orange liners. This is also the sharpest knife I've ever received from a maker. I can't recommend AA Forge or Voyager Leatherworks enough.

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
I do not have an RSI but can comment on my 77/22 magnum, which is the all weather boat paddle model. I installed a Volquartsen hammer to fix the trigger and then installed a bolt shim, which made a BIG difference in the accuracy. Easily sub moa now. You may want to consider these two relatively inexpensive upgrades.
TA

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Very nice indeed! Try out some 30 grain v-max's if you can find any. The 30-34 grain loads shoot way better than the heavier bullets in my 77/22.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Nice I like your rig a lot. I passed on one of these when offered even though a reasonable price, it was nice but I'm just not a blue rifle guy any longer. There was a K77/22RSI out not too long before this one.