Ruger 77/22 Hornet

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I have the heavy barreled 77 in 22 Hornet - laminated stock, which I don't particularly care for. I presume I can use the Ruger factory walnut in the "not target" version, but a) hard to find and b) they cost about $225.00.

Any other options for walnut, other than getting lucky on EBay? I see nothing for it at Boyds either.

Danny

Single-Sixer
Theoretically, you can use the sporter Walnut Stock, if you open up the barrel channel to fit the heavier barrel, as they are the same rifle, functionally, only differing in barrel weight and length. In the real world, I do not know if the stock has enough width to allow the barrel channel to be opened and not come up with something odd, like breaking through the sides of the stock. I had the sporter version once and sold it because I ended up not liking the sporter stock and rifle weight. I should have bought the one you have. I ended up selling it and buying a LH Browning Micro Hunter Hornet, which again puts me in the too light problem. I guess I don't learn quickly, but then, a lefty has limited options, especially in a bolt action Hornet. I have considered selling it to fund a lefty Cooper Varminter 22 Hornet, or 17 AH.

Danny

dfletcher

Blackhawk
^
The barrel channel needing to be opened up is something I've considered, I think there's enough on the side to be OK.

I have a Cooper 21 in 222 Remington. I'd say if you like the Ruger 77/22 Hornet in the heavy barrel configuration you'll very much like the Cooper. Similar set up with a conventional stock from the wrist back and a long heavy barrel. Definitely a front heavy feel, the flat forend is not only nice looking but makes for a stable platform.