Ruger 77/22 bull barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wiz1997

Single-Sixer
Asking this for someone else.

I want to get a bull barrel for my Ruger 77/22. Did Ruger make such a barrel for the bolt action 77/22 like they did for the 10/22? If not, does anyone know of a good quality bull barrel made by another barrel manufacturer?

Snake45

Hawkeye
Ruger produced a heavy barrel 77/22 called the V model. The barrel was/is 24" long and tapered like a typical centerfire varmint barrel.

I believe several aftermarket barrel makers have "bull" barrels for the 77/22. Start by looking at Green Mountain, they make nice stuff at good prices.

Snake45

Hawkeye
kwh said:
ct-precision.com Randy does great work
Thanks for that! I found this:

Gunsmith Notes, Ruger 77/22 Setback and crown L.R, .22 Magnum and .17 HMR:
CPC headspace gages barreled action upon arrival, noting any changes to be made. Setback breech by .175, cuts shank for SAAMI minimum headspace. The newly cut shank area is left larger fitting the receiver hole with a line to line fit stabilizing the barrel in the receiver. A reamer pilot is fit to the exact bore size then hand bolt match chamber reamed concentric with bore. Chamber is hand polished, bore is hand lapped, a new lock down spacer is locktited in barrel's V cut to insure proper tightening. Extractor slots are recut. Muzzle end bore is indicated within .0002, a new 11° recessed target crown is cut for accuracy. Bolt halves tightened. CPC measures the gap between the bolt halves, grinds and installs a pin that tightens the halves. Tested to be a excellent reducer of flyers and tends to round out target groups. If rifle is shooting low, customer should note this so we can adjust.

Doesn't specifically mention 77/22V but I don't know why it wouldn't work there too. It sounds like what my 77/22 needs, as I'm pretty sure its accuracy problem is caused by a "casual" chamber. I might have to contact him about doing this for me.

Thanks again!

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I put a Green Mountain 22" fluted barrel in .17 HMR on my 77/22 mag. It's noticeably heavier than the factory .22 mag barrel, though I suppose the barrel shank and portion within the forend would have to be the same dimensions. Seems to have a less rapid taper and the extra length adds weight as well. It's a shooter, but I haven't used the .17 on a live critter yet.