Ruger 50th anniversary flattop 44 mag qestion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Hi all,
Was thinking of getting a nice 44 mag Ruger single action recently and see there was a special edition a few years back; 50th anniversary flattop with a smaller grip frame. Will this handle Ruger only loads like the regular Super Blackhawk, or is it like the New (smaller) Vaquero? Thanks!

Rclark

Hunter
The cylinder and large frame are exactly the same as a Ruger Blackhawk and Ruger Super Blackhawk. As said above it a .44Mag so will take any .44Mag SAAMI loads (as all .44Mags must do). When I shoot .44Mag, the 50th Anniversary flattop is the one I dig out.

G2

Hunter
While the the 50th Flattop is a true & blue 44 magnum,,,,

Shooting them with "Hot" OR SAAMI Magnum loads is a handful. :shock:

Let me expound just a bit, they are produced & shipped with the thin plastic "cheese grater" grip panels. I always found this interesting as the OM was shipped with wood.
Gripframe; a small, flat/straight backstrap XR3 size, OK,,,
but there was a reason the Super was invented.

I ended up putting some thicker wood panels on mine, helped a bunch.
I also have a OM that has been Brass/Stag gripframe'd that ends up being my go to shooter and usually only 7gr greendot loads.

Full house loads I go to the Super and or Hunter, just makes more sense.

While the 50th will do whatever, I highly doubt you will shoot much of whatever.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Greetings!
Actually I was planning on replacing those 'cheese grater grips'; like you mentioned, they are uncomfortable (you know those beautiful blue grips recently for sale?!). I don't plan to shoot much over 44 special actually (a new favorite, I might add!), but if the need ever arose, I wanted to be able to use something like a Buffalo Bore load.
Thank you all very much for your comments!
SJ

Rclark

Hunter
Yeah, I should have mentioned that much over 1300fps (240g) is uncomfortable in the .44Mag flattop. My goto load though is 1100fps, so very comfortable to shoot. Love it!

And forgot... I did replace the grips with nice wood ones too.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I bought a Ruger 50th Anniversary Flattop and immediately replaced the grips with Packmayrs. Totally, and I mean TOTALLY solved the "grip problem". When I gifted my Son-in-law with that revolver the grips went with it.

I also have Pachmayrs on my original OM Super Blackhawk and one of my .44 Special Flattops. They are not the prettiest grip around, but they are imminently shootable. Since my primary purpose of having a handgun is to hit what I shoot at, I flat out ignore the appearance. Hey, man! If I have rubber on my $40,000 automobile (the tires) I sure don't worry about it on my handgun (LOL).

Here's to hitting what you mean to, where you mean to...

Dale53