Ruger 45 ACP Cylinder question---

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugeraficiando

Single-Sixer
I thought I would ask the experts on Ruger forum for some help about a Ruger Cylinder in 45acp. I'm not new to Ruger revolvers by any means.
I acquired a blued Ruger 45 ACP cylinder at a sale that i need help identifying (in a box of stuff). At least I think its a Ruger cylinder. OAL length end of ratchet is 1.964, diam. is 1.722.
There is 488 scribed on end of cylinder. There appears to be an x by the base pin hole. Also what appears to be an S on end of cylinder ratchet side. Slight turn line.
Not sure how to identify if it old or new model. Overall great shape. Cylinder is too to long rotate in either my large frame 45 Vaquero 45 colt or my Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt.
Haven't posted for a while so would need to figure out how to add a picture.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Paul

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Don't need a photo, your description was easy to follow. The 488 is the last 3 digits of the gun's serial # that it come from.

From the length it tells us it's for a large frame like your Bisley BH or large frame Vaq.

So once you adjust the the length to match that of the two cyls in your guns, it will fit. Adjustment is done by stoning the the front cyl gas ring or cyl hub, and keeping it square on the end.

However it might be from an old model BH convertible. So before you start stoning, compare these other dimensions with your cyls:

length of the gas ring,
length of the star,
length of the cyl body w/o star or gas ring.

If those don't match your cyls pretty darn close, the cyl still won't work in your new model guns without additional adjustments. So you'll want to check those before any stoning off the length.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The distance from the ratchet to the front face of the cylinder should match your other cylinders pretty closely. If that be the case, then adjusting the gas ring is the job at hand. This to be sure that the face of the cylinder does not impact the barrel stub when installed in yore gun.

Bob Wright

rugeraficiando

Single-Sixer
All great info as expected from the forum. Both my Rugers are SS . My Bisley Blackhawk is the convertible model with the acp cylinder. My Vaquero obviously didn't come with the 45 acp . It would be kind of cool to have the blued cylinder contrast with the high polish SS Vaquero.
However if I cannot get it to fit or will not fit (I have Arkansas flat stones ) or would rather part with it what would be a fair asking price?
That you again for all the info.
I've been working on getting a 1 hole group from a rest with both 45 Colt and the Acp cylinders in the Bisley. I've got 5 hole group with 1st shot about 1" low then the next 5 all holes touching with the 45 ACP. These are 230 LRN cast by my friend. The 45 Colt I've managed 4 holes touching with 2 low. HITEK coated bullets, 250 RNFP. These are hard cast handloads assembled by me. I did polish the 45 Colt cylinder with instructions from Handloader magazine a few issues back. I could not be more pleased.
The distance is only 50ft because that is my indoor range but still not bad.
Paul

usually a quick glance as the length of the gas seal ring ( stub) up front tell us what is the old model versus the new model,,,short stub ,OLD MODEL , ,,,,,,long stub is the new models.......
when you don;t have both to compare to, then what does the one that is in the gun you now have, look like and then as noted above, measure the overall length and file/stone/ fit the front, to match yours.

CxG6tPEm.jpg

better yet, from the Bill Ross book on Blackhawks , the drawing done by my 'late' friend Roland KIrsch

ERkA86nm.jpg

rugeraficiando

Single-Sixer
The gas seal rings are not near as different in length as photo shows above, old model verses new model but the cylinder in discussion here is definitely shorter than on my bisley blackhawk. The rachet ends are wider on the cylinder being discussed here compared to my bisley blackhawk. Is this part of timing or why it will not rotate smoothly? I guess more research is needed.
Really looks like this cylinder will not work in my Vaquero 45 Colt.
Pulling back on hammer will not rotate cylinder.
Paul

rugeraficiando

Single-Sixer
It is a ruger cylinder from my investigation. I need to clarify that the dimensions are close to my blackhawk. The cylinder is same length but gas seal to rachet Is shorter. I just don't want to have it fitted. I'm just going to put it up for sale. Thanks for your input though.

contender

Ruger Guru
"The rachet ends are wider on the cylinder being discussed here compared to my bisley blackhawk."

I was looking at this statement when I made my previous comment.

If putting it up for sale, good clear pics will help it sell, as well as detailed measurements.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
rugeraficiando said:
It is a ruger cylinder from my investigation. I need to clarify that the dimensions are close to my blackhawk. The cylinder is same length but gas seal to rachet Is shorter. I just don't want to have it fitted. I'm just going to put it up for sale. Thanks for your input though.

Let us know how the dimensions compare to your 45 Colt cyl. The OM cyls are generally not that hard to fit in a NM and we'd be happy to advise you on exactly what might be needed to make it fit.