Ruger .44 Spec (Lipseys or otherwise) 4 sale in KY?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rodfarva

Single-Sixer
Knob Creek has a couple (not Lipseys). I can't remember how they were priced though.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Sunday Bill,

I'm not in KY but I can ship mine to KY. I have a brand new, unfired 5.5" 44 Special, still has the yellow disk behind the cylinder in it. If you're interested, I can take some pictures and send them to you. It would be $550, shipped to your dealer.

Just let me know by email, please, and we can discuss off line.

BB45C

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
bigbore, I haven't handled one of the 44 Specs. Thanks for the offer, but I'd like to hold one in my paws before I buy.

Thanks, rodfarva. I called Knob Creek this afternoon. The young man verified they had a couple flat tops and that another worker would be in tomorrow who can enlighten me a little more.

The clerk THOUGHT they were both new, but didn't know a lot about'em. So, 44 Special Afficionados, I'm wonderin':

* if they aint Lipseys, what the heck are they? Has Ruger already delivered some of those promised in the catalog?

* if they're both new, should the longer gun be priced 50 bucks cheaper?

Thanks,

Rich

Chris

Blackhawk
Rich

Lipseys originally contracted with ruger for a total of 2000 Flattops in 44 special, 1000 in the 4 5/8 " barrel and a 1000 in the 5 1/2" barrel. The original serial numbers from lipseys have a 520-xxxxxx prefix

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
Didn't ask the serial #, but just gave'em my credit card # to hold the 5 1/2 incher 'til I can get there Saturday.

I've enjoyed reading posts on various forums and talking with single action folks ref. the desirability of these two barrel lengths. I have sometimes seen folks choose the shorter for reasons of what they term "balance"........If these things remotely resemble SAAs, I consider the 5 1/2" barrel length the best balanced of any handgun I ever handled. Naturally, others' MMV.

If they're still on the shelf, I'll handle'em both when I get there. The short gun will have to feel awfully good to cause me to pay 50 extra bucks to bring it home.

Owe you one, rodfarva.

Rich

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
(ghost-talkin again) Hhhhmmmmph.......thought my last post might get a rise or two out of the short barrel owners/collectors/lovers.

Guess if they gonna go that quietly, I'll just go ahead on and buy the 5 1/2 incher.

sunday (who's about to own his first 44 Special Ruger) bill

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Sunday...I bought a 5-1/2 Ruger/Lipsey's .44 Spl Flat Top at Bud's in Lexington, yesterday...$457 out the door. It was on the wall, and I wasn't shopping...went with a friend to pick up his new Henry in .45 LC and saw the .44 Special hanging on the wall. My buddy also bought a Colt New Frontier .45 LC, 4-3/4" barrel out of the counter display case for $1000 OTD. The Colt looks to be unfired, with some minor display case rash but otherwise new.

I've also had a 4-5/8" for the last six months and found it to be accurate far beyond its short barrel length. That short barrel will do 1+" gps at 25 yds with selected hand loads on demand. Just tried the new 5-1/2" one...as in: 20 minutes ago... and it likes the same load...ten shots in 1-1/4" at 25, sitting with a back rest. Win 231-6.5gr in Starline brass with Win LP caps and Lyman's 429215 GC bullet, ww alloy and sized .430, 50/50 lube.

#2 son just arrived in Afganistan for a one year tour...this new Ruger'll be his home-coming present a year down the road.

I tried it in my customary right rear hip pocket carry position and it's just too long, whereas the 4-5/8" nestles right in there...must be a question of the size of my buns or something. The longer tube does ride as well in my gun belt with a Tom Threepersons holster however

Regards,

Chris

Blackhawk
Bill

Personally I like the 5 1/2" better.

Rod

Be a nice home comming present for him. God Bless him and keep him safe

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
Rodfac, Tell your son the rest of the state is darn proud of him and good on his family!! I'm a son of an island hopping WW II Sea Bee and brother to a wounded-in-action Nam vet.

Guess that shows what a phone call is worth. I talked to Bud's a week or so ago and was told they didn't have or expect a Flat Top. Congrats on your good luck.

Sounds like a great buy your friend got!!

The load you mention is real close to one of my favorites.

The pack-in-pocket-a-bility of the shorter gun also crossed my mind and MIGHT be a determining factor IF I didn't already own a .454 Alaskan, and a pair of short .45 Birds Heads, short S&W 629, 625, 24, 66, 60, etc. (I'm old and retired and must work two days a week to help pay for my packin-piece addiction and to prevent my wife's murdering me).

Lucky for me, my better third is interested in looking at a mandolin in a Luh-vil shop, so this trip to Knob Creek may turn into a family outing with a supper stop at Natural Bridge SP for their annual Buffalo Supper.

Thanks for the encouraging words, Chris.

Gittin eager, now,

Rich

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Chris and Sunday Bill...many thanks for your kind remarks concerning our son. My secret was to marry a beautiful woman, smarter than me, and also a Marine's daughter...she raised them right...

Bill...you sound like me...retired and finally getting some time to shoot the stuff we've collected over the years. As to the Lipsey's Rugers, both of mine are great shooters. This new one is as good as the older. Both like lead alloy bullets and the leading problem is virtually non-existent.

It's a great caliber, and Ruger and Lipsey's decision to produce a .44 Special after all these years pleased me no end. I've wanted one since Skeeter was waxing eloquent over his conversions back in the early 70's.

Here's some pics of the 4-5/8" barreled one and its good shooting capabilities. Wish my eyes were 10 yrs younger to really wring out the accuracy. Best Regards, and enjoy your new pistola...Rodfac

D44Tgt.jpg

44SplGp2.jpg
Ruger44Spl65231.jpg

Targets002.jpg

sunday bill

Single-Sixer
Well, thanks to rodfarva, I finally handled, then bought, a .44 Special Flat Top. Went with the 5.5" barrel. $459+ Ky sales tax brought her to 486 and change. Serial # 520-6200XX.

Don't know if this'n is a Lipsey's or not.

Hope to shoot it tomorrow, Rodfac. If its capability with my loads approaches the accuracy of your Flat Tops, I'll be pleased. If I can hold still enough to approach your accuracy level, I'll be tickled to death. Very impressive groups!

I cast wheelweight 429421s and 429244s (or whatever number the GC 240-250 grainers are) but do not cast the lighter bullet you mention. I've got some 7.5 gr. Unique loaded and also a W231 load close to yours, both with the 429421.

I'll post results.

EDIT: Rodfac, I was lucky enough to marry a good lookin, shootin woman. We've enjoyed the diversions of bows and firearms together for 25+ years. I'm retired, she's still working, we're practically broke as a result of our recreations, and don't have one regret.

Rich