Ruger 44 mag Vaquero Birds Head

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nick112288

Bearcat
Ok so maybe you guys can help. I'm really interested in this model BUT there isn't a lot of information out there on it. A couple reviews here, some magazine reviews out there, so not a lot to go on.

I'm not real familiar with the Vaquero line, but what I have read I understand there is the New Vaquero which is a smaller frame and not as robust. Then there is the original Vaquero line which was considerably stronger (obviously since it has the ability to chamber 44 mag.) This new Birds Head is built on the older spec Vaquero frame correct?

Now in terms of strength, how would this frame rank? Between the Vaquero and Super Blackhawk? Just as robust as the Super Blackhawk?

schloss

Single-Sixer
No. With what Ruger has done with them over the history of production, you basically have to forget the "Vaquero vs New Vaquero" train of thought. It was reliable until this introduction. What you really need to watch is the serial prefix. It will be either a 2 digit or 3 digit. 2 digit = large frame, 3 digit = medium frame.

The 44mag NV is on the large frame, should you not want to check the serial. However, if you check Ruger's Blackhawk line, you'll see the same thing. The flat tops are medium frames, including the offerings in 44spl. It's only confusing until you like them, then interesting and fun. Just watch the serial numbers.

Yes, same strength as the BH / SBH. Currently, Ruger just has the two frame sizes on their single actions. So everything is either "good" or "gooder".

And, welcome to the forum. This place is filled with all sorts of knowledge, friendliness, excitable folk, and cranky old curmudgeons (of which I am chief). (I'm not chief of the other stuff. Only cranky. My wife says I'm "grumpy".)

Ask lots of questions, and read a lot.

nick112288

Bearcat
Alright thanks.

I've got about 100 rounds of 44 mag and 50 44 spc currently sitting around because I sold off my 44 quite a while ago (Raging Bull).

Now I'm wanting a new 44 and its either going to be the Vaquero birds head purely for the awesome and cool factor, or the Super Blackhawk Bisely for fun but also hunting. Decisions!

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
I picked one up a few months ago. These are on the "large" frame. However, I think it might be based on the 50th flattop 44 mag because it has the new indexing pawl that lines the chambers up with the loading gate, which was a significant distinction from the standard large frame blackhawk. In any case, it's good for any in-spec 44 magnum load.

Mine shot right on with 320 gr bear loads. Its a little low with 250 gr magnum ammo and a lot low with 200 gr 44 specials. Surprisingly, the birds head grip was very comfortable even with the bear loads. No bruised knuckles even.

Finally, I do need to add that the fit and finish is the best I've observed yet on a recent Ruger single action. Also, it's got a beautiful long smooth forcing cone that looks a lot like the one on my 480 Bisley I picked up last fall. It looks like Ruger may have made a change for the better with the forcing cone cutting operation.

nick112288

Bearcat
At what distances were you shooting to get those drops? I know this is a short range gun but I thought I saw or heard somewhere it's sighted for 15 yards or 15 feet. I can't remember and it might be completely wrong

7LBRONCO

Bearcat
The serial # on mine starts with 59-. The manual claims the sights are regulated for 30 feet, but mine shoots WAY low, like 18 inches. I had a target set on plywood, on 2 plastic sawhorses, and I put 3 holes in the lower 6 inches of the sawhorse leg! I really like the gun, just gotta go out again, with a file, and dial in the front sight.

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
I shot mine at distances from 50 feet to 50 yards. Once I figured out the hold over with the 44 special ammo, I went 6 for 6 on a 16" gong off hand at 50 yards. Now I just need to find a 44 special load that has close to the same poi as the bear loads and I'll be good.

Timbo22

Single-Sixer
I am sorely tempted to put this at the top of the list of "next guns" to buy. It would round out my original Vaquero collection very nicely and would be a unique variation on that model.
Timbo