Ruger 44 Mag. 50th Anniversary Model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Guy's,
I have been looking for a 44 Mag revolver for a while. Super Blackhawk, Blackhawk, just need one to go with my two 44 Mag Marlin lever action rifles.

Everything I have seen was really expensive but I did find the Anniversary Addition that suited my price and taste in 44 Mag. I have smaller hands (5'5" tall) so this Blackhawk has the smaller grip frame and frame. Suit's my smaller hands just right. Also the grip frame and ejection rod housing is steel.

She is a heavy little beast. But when I received her I looked down the sights and the front sight is clocked to the right of the barrel. I could have lived with that but I also have to have the rear sight all the way to the right to get it to hit at Point of aim. That drives me nut's. Makes me feel like I have to hold the revolver sideways to shoot it.

Everything else is excellent on her. So I made a service request to Ruger since it is Saturday thru email. I asked for a Return label to have the sights reworked. Who ever soldered that front sight on did not do it justice. I am hoping Ruger will send a prepaid shipping label and re-solder the front sight then re-blue the gun or barrel. Hopefully they will help me out. I knew that they would take care of it, is the only reason I did not send it back. Plus I have the 50th anniversary Ruger Single Six and they look good together.

If not then I will look up a competent gunsmith to do the repair and get the revolver right.

gunzo

Buckeye
They've fixed a lot of Blackhawks with this problem & will likely get it right this time.

Good luck on the pre-paid label. They seem to have set an age limit on a gun for them to pay shipping. But if they don't they will sometimes send a label out for their cost that you pre pay.
That's still a lot cheaper than trying to ship yourself or have an FFL do it.

The annv. BH's are great looking guns. Enjoy!

the barrels are a "crushed fit" and yours is just not up to the 12 o'clock position, you'd think they would LOOK down the barrel and sights when the barrel is fitted,,,DUH not enough time to do the job right the first time, BUT always time to to sent it back and redo it....again,duh ....8) :roll:

"....and so it goes..." RIP Wil Terry & Don W :wink:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I did not know if they Silver Soldered the sight on before or after the barrel install. Now the extractor housing also comes into play. I figure probably easier to resolder the front sight back on at this point than loose a whole barrel. Be interesting to know how they fix it ?

no not a "simple resolder", as then the gun has to be refinished at least the barrel, and all they do is "tweak" the barrel onto position, no need to remove it...you'd be surprised what a few 'degrees' will do.....gotta have the proper barrel and frame wrenches to do the job "properly".......we used to use an old ash baseball bat years ago., old shoe leather,a well-padded BFBV.. 8) :roll: :wink:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Well the wait begins, UPS picked her up today. I can not wait to get her back and see what she looks like after the barrel is clocked tighter to line her up. I just was not sure if they could do that with the ejector housing already lined up and drilled in place.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
They offered two ways of me sending it in. Yes they paid for the return no charge to me. They said that I could print off the shipping label they would send me and I could drop it off at a FedEx, or I could box it up and put the RMA only only on the box and UPS would pick it up at my house and attach the return label to it when they picked it up. My wife is usually home so that is the one I took. Next day UPS showed up put the label on and gave me a tracking receipt. How much easier could they have made it. I figured Ruger would at least make me pay for the return label. They did not, started to but then realized I just purchased the revolver on 6-19-2021. I told her that it was bought used but put up and never fired, being an anniversary model. She then set the return up for free. You have to Love Ruger. Their Customer service has to be one of the best. The only other better maybe Henry.

larryofcc

Bearcat
I love mine. Bought two. One for me and one for my BIL. Have custom USMC grips on mine. It will shoot circles around my S&W 29-2 with my handloads. Big Larry

Rclark

Hunter
Looks great! I know this particular .44 Mag flattop is one of my favorite revolvers. Now that you've had a 'month' back from Ruger... How's it shoot! :D .

What does BIL stand for???

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Shooting great now, just can't blow anymore ammo untill primers start coming back. Starting to run low.

Thanks guy's for all the comments. I really love this revolver and really glad I gotten it in the Medium frame.

Rclark

Hunter
Just a reminder. The .44 Mag flattop is on the Large Frame. The .357, .44 Special, and .45 Colt flattops are on the medium frame.

Glad the .44 Mag is shooting well!