Ruger 44 Carbine Serial 501X Value?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

my username

Bearcat
New to the forum, but grew up with my Dad's 44 mag Old Model Super Blackhawk and of course wore out several 10/22s along the way. So while I have some Ruger familiarity, I don't claim any kind of expertise.

Just picked up a Ruger 44 Carbine with serial number just over 5000. Ruger serial check dates the gun manufacture at 1962, I think. Haven't done a take down of it yet, but appears to be 95%+ (light marks from one or two uses and being stored in a closet for fifty years - or so I understand). Maybe 100 rounds through it according to the original owner. Standard stock (not checkered nor deluxe finger grooved, nor international style). Missing original box and papers.

Did a bit of looking online and on here and just wondered what the value of such an animal might be? Originally designed for it to be a saddle rifle/deer gun and figured to perhaps customize/modernize it a bit (if needed) for those purposes. However, after finding out the early manufacture date and reading a bit on it, it seems it could be in the collectable class? Wouldn't want to mess up a good ol' carbine by tinkering on it, you know. Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

cruzerlou

Buckeye
I can't help you with a value on the gun,but I'll tell you this .Since your gun was made in 1962 ,it should be marked "DEERSTALKER"as all the early guns were .I believe it was in 1964 that Ithaca filed a law suite against Ruger saying that since the Itahca shotgun is called the "DEERSLAYER" that it was some sort of copy write infrengment .
My cria 1965 .44 carbine isn't marked DEERSTALKER,but it's the exact same gun you have .these early guns tend to bring a bit more collector wise .A few years later Ruger incorporated a mag cut off into the gun so you could unload the gun with out having to cycle every bullet through the action .I'll see what I can find on your gun using 95% condition and get back with you .
your Friend,
lou

cruzerlou

Buckeye
On gun broker ,a 1961 -1962 standard model gun marked deerstalker in 95% is selling for $795.00 one in 95%++ is selling for $825.00.
golferboy426
Just how old would it have to be? Considering that 1961 was the first year of manufacture of the .44 carbine .I know they stamped them DEERSTALKERS for the first couple of years this should fall right in the right range .My gun is a year or two too new to be marked DEERSTALKER and mines a 1965 as I said .
Lou

my username

Bearcat
I really appreciate the comments and the good information. My 44 Carbine is stamped just that ".44 Carbine," so I think this gives me a good idea of the general going value. With the current market craziness I see some early models, in average condition even, going for as much as $1000! (and the Deerfields for even more). But I am looking for as close to the actual worth (as I feel you lads helped kindly with) not hyper-inflated prices of the day.

So, still not sure if I should modify it in any way, though. I'm not really a collector nor one of those "tacticool" guys (which there is certainly nothing wrong with either just to be clear- just not me as I fall somewhere in between like I would imagine many folks do). But I could foresee making a custom stock (for fit as well as for protection of the original one) and perhaps add the tube magazine cut off as mentioned above was incorporated into later models (if possible) and who knows what else minor stuff...

I see Numrich has a plethora of replacement parts for several models types of the Ruger 44 Carbine (R, RS, SP, YR25 - not sure which one I am) - though I don't hear of many people's breaking down. Actually while I'm thinking of it, do any of you guys know of any replacement barrel options (I'm sure there is no aftermarket for this early a gun, but it seems someone must have shot one of these things enough in 50 years to warrant barrel work)? Has anyone had a smith make and/or put a new barrel on? Don't know about investing several hundred dollars into a match grade Lothar, Hart, Shaw, or whatever, but if this becomes my closer range/brush gun go-to I want it to shoot! So just seeing what the options might be.

Again thankx guys for all your help. This forum is such a great place.

cruzerlou

Buckeye
Thanks for the info golferboy426,
According to the Ruger website the first year guns started with serial # 1 in 1961,
# 1339 in 1962 and way up to 65061 in 1963 That means just some 220 guns were Deerstalkers in 1962 .Good thing to know .Thanks again.

my username,
As to adding the mag cutoff ,I don't know if you can even if you could find one .As to making the gun more accurate by adding a bbl , well I don't know of anyone ever making an aftermarket bbl for them and their plenty accurate enough as is .
Using my pet handload a 240 gr XPT .over 23.5 gr's of H-100 and with the 4x scope on mine i'm getting 1 1/2- 2 " 3 shot groups at 100 yards with mine more than accurate enough for it's intended use ,medium sized game at 150 yards max .It still holds 2 2 1/2" groups with Winchester white box 240 gr J.S.P. from wally world .
Were it me I'd just leave it alone except for if you have the skill to make yourself a custom stock .
I'd ask about the mag cutoff in the Ruger smithing section .If it can be done someone there has done it and can walk you through the install .
Lou

my username

Bearcat
Thankx Lou. Your experience and willingness to share is invaluable. Saving me loads of time of figuring. I'll definitely check in the smithing section after I go through the parts available on Numrich to see if a mag cutoff is even available... Oh, I just found a part called a "cartidge stop, early" there, could this be the piece you think? There are "late" versions in other schematics as well. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/848800.htm

I can build a stock for it for sure (or Numrich has raw factory replacement stocks as well I see) and otherwise, I'll likely do as you say and just shoot it!

There was deerstalker shipped later 1962. They are scattered everywhere!
#4 Oct 61
#7 Nov 61
#10 Aug 74
#11 Dec 61
#19 Nov 61
#24 Nov 61
#26 Nov 61
#34 Feb 62
#50 and #51 Oct 61
#52 Nov 62
#54 Oct 69
#77 and #78 Nov 61
#777 Nov 61
#2121 June 65

cruzerlou

Buckeye
username, It may very well be a different cartridge interrupter, interrupter plate ,or some other related part. I've looked in my manual and my manual doesn't show the mag cutoff,so with out seeing the parts side by side I can't tell .I would imagine though,form my experience in gunsmithing in general that the receiver it's self may be different due to the space the mag stop would need to be depressed into the receiver.
I don't have shop manuals here at the house .I'm hoping to get by the shop tomorrow and I'll look in my tear down manuals and see if there are different .I suspect that they are .
Again I'd ask in the Ruger smithing section of the forum,someone there will know if you can make this upgrade. I will say this ,if you do this it may well detract from the value of your first year gun .
Really it's no different than my 1969 Remington 1100 or my J.C. Higgins tube fed bolt action shotguns I collect ,you have to cycle all the shells through the chamber to unload the gun .No biggie you just must be muzzle aware when unloading the gun, but then again you should always be muzzle aware,but I know you know that already . Safety first Bro,
I'll let you know what I can find out .
Your Friend,
lou

WASATCH CHARLIE

Bearcat
I have a 1962 44mag that was brand new until I started shooting it. have been offered $ 650 and said no thanks. there just not around in great shape. unless you are hurting for cash, hold on to it. mine is in the 55,000 ser .#range
(1962).don't shoot cast projectiles unless you plan on cleaning cylinder on regular basis. I shoot 240gr. JHP /JFP it works flawlessly .