Ruger 44 Carbine - International Stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rlvanden

Bearcat
Hello,

I'm new to the board. I just bought my first Ruger .44 Carbine and have a few questions. First, my gun has the full length international stock and was made in 1966. Does anyone have details on how many international versions were made and in what years they were produced? Also, I heard that these guns can be picky on ammo. I plan on going to the range this weekend and need to buy some ammo. Does the (relatively) cheap Winchester white box 240 gr. JSP work well, or should I look for something else? Thanks in advance.

chet15

Hawkeye
The 44 International is a great gun! Pretty collectible too with only an estimated 3,700 produced in 1966 and 1967. Wouldn't surprise me if a few were shipped in 1968 as well as this model wasn't a great seller.
The known sn range is 104828 to 123923, and there are a couple of factory checkered ones known though these are extremely rare (I think the employee thought they were checkering a 10/22).
Chet15

rlvanden

Bearcat
Thanks Chet. Mine is in the 106xxx range. I called Ruger and confirmed that it is an original International model that shipped in June of '66. It's in great condition, so now I may be a little hesitant to take it into the woods after deer. I may have to look for a standard carbine for the woods and use my International on the range.

pete44ru

Hunter
[ 240 gr. JSP ]

That's the ammo that the rifle was designed around, and what work best in one.

NEVER run un-jacketed lead bullets through one.

RogerD

Bearcat
Have the Ruger 44Mag Carbine (bought new late '70's. Took a nice black bear (Northern Idaho) spring of '79 (one shot just below the ear)- dropped in his tracks, never moved from the spot. Also bought a used 44Mag Intl. in mint condition several years ago - have never shot it . . .

R44I_IMG_6088-91ZZ-S.jpg

The rifle appears to be circa 1966 with a Weaver 4X - appears to be about the same vintage as the rifle. Metal is minty (99% + on the blue), wood has nice figure, beautiful color, doesn't have a single mark on it (that I can find) . . .

pete44ru":2f5dlzyk said:
[ 240 gr. JSP ]

That's the ammo that the rifle was designed around, and what work best in one.

NEVER run un-jacketed lead bullets through one.