Ruger 44 carbine at the gun show

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ssqman

Bearcat
Was at the Melbourne gun show yesterday and saw a super nice 44 carbine. The model with the peep sight. The peep sight side edges had slight bluing wear along with a few marks on the loading area on the bottom from the cartridges. The price was $1500. I can't afford that. But, Christmas is coming and the next gun show there is Oct. 1st and 2nd. I'll have to research this model as I don't know much about them.

sigp220.45

Single-Sixer
85F5950B-ECE3-40CB-9F5B-8C2CD05CC54C.jpeg

I love mine. It stands guard at the back door, for bears and gorillas.
EC0BE388-59C4-463F-A99A-35D776C920F4.jpeg

C3Ranger

Bearcat
Was at the Melbourne gun show yesterday and saw a super nice 44 carbine. The model with the peep sight. The peep sight side edges had slight bluing wear along with a few marks on the loading area on the bottom from the cartridges. The price was $1500. I can't afford that. But, Christmas is coming and the next gun show there is Oct. 1st and 2nd. I'll have to research this model as I don't know much about them.

If memory serves me, there were three versions of the Ruger 44 magnum carbine over the years. I believe the earlier versions were tube fed, and the third was magazine fed. They are great guns, but $1500 seems high. If you find it at the next gun show, I would suggest you offer to negotiate with a maximum amount of cash you are willing to part with for it. A quick check online shows a sale in Gulf Breeze, Florida about 1 month ago for a "new old stock" that sold for $1195.

Good luck with your research and negotiation.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Yeah they do seem to have gone up in price quite a bit lately. Used to seem em years ago going for around $500 even. Seem more popular now than when they were being made. Can't imagine a handier brush gun for deer and pig with plenty of punch. Hope you score one next time for a better price.

chet15

Hawkeye
There are variations of the 44RS. They started off with a sourdough front sight, small serial numbers, non-Inc. barrel address and without the easy unloader button in the magazine well.
Then you get to the prefix variations with raked forend stock and Ruger production stock of the pre-warning models, the Warning model and the rarest of them all, a Liberty marked example of which only two are known.
There may also be a 101- prefixed variant but haven't heard of one of those yet. Might even be some "D" duplicate serial numbered guns, but none of those are known yet either.
So... .44 Carbines have went up considerably in the last 10 years. If that is a Liberty marked model, DO NOT HESITATE... that is a unicorn!!
Chet15

hittman

Staff member
So this one for sale IS one of the more uncommon models Chet15 mentions?

Liberty marked or D serial? Two or 3 digit serial number?
I know there's a few variations. I think most expensive NIB example that sold on Gun Broker brought $2k while examples without a box were bought in the $850 to $1100 range. A far cry from $3k But nothing surprises me these days.

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
Bought mine in 67. Senior in high school, farm boy, not much in the way of
money so I know I didn't pay much for it. Dad, brother, uncle and I have all
taken deer with it. Mine came with a receiver sight. Great gun for the East
TN woods. Short, quick handling, and deadly. Wouldn't sell mine for $1500.
Too much family history with it.
Dano
DSCN0053.jpg

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
So this one for sale IS one of the more uncommon models Chet15 mentions?

Liberty marked or D serial? Two or 3 digit serial number?
I know there's a few variations. I think most expensive NIB example that sold on Gun Broker brought $2k while examples without a box were bought in the $850 to $1100 range. A far cry from $3k But nothing surprises me these days.
A while back I stated that a Ruger .44 Carbine NIB would easily bring $3,000 these days, and a few people were in doubt about that. Check out this Gunbroker auction that just ended: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/944784111

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Yeah looks spanking brand new. Seem more popular now than in the years they were produced. Recall them selling new for around $119 way back. Awesome brush gun with knock down power.