Ruger 41 Remington Magnums

Help Support Ruger Forum:

moparclan

Single-Sixer
The first centerfire handgun I shot was 41 mag. That started me down the path of 40 and 41 cal.

Using moon clips the headspacing is controlled by the clip.

Now, Unicorn alert. SS 10mm x40 S&W.

View attachment 8313
I guess there are at least two of the 40/10mm out there. ;)
$999.00.jpg

$999.00a.jpg

msp2640

Single-Sixer
My 1st Ruger ever was an OM 6.5", just happened to be in 41 Mag. I didn't know the difference between OM, NM or converted, etc. What I did know is it had a worn finish, probably from hunting, had a 4 "click" action like a Colt and was priced right, for $149. I bought it, with the intention of getting it refinished, yet nearly 40 yrs later, still the same finish, probably 800-1000 rds thru it, mostly cast. More Rugers and 41s now reside here, but it's my only OM, still unconverted too! Bill in MA

smith1961

Blackhawk
My user name should be .41superfan. I only have a S&W M58, M57, and Ruger .41 Flattop though. Should get a Henry Big Boy to go with em!
Oh and I'm the fool who tried for YEARS on here with others to get Lipsey's to make a .41 Vaquero........

Y'all made me want to show my 41's. 3 OM's, NM Liberty and a NM flattop. The brass frame is a factory frame but didn't leave the factory that way unfortunately.

Attachments

• D85B9B17-63D3-42BB-83CF-DDEF3053D19B.jpeg
    D85B9B17-63D3-42BB-83CF-DDEF3053D19B.jpeg
    792.6 KB · Views: 86

contender

Ruger Guru
Gee,, I feel like an amateur when it come to a Ruger collector I know. He has at least 15 of the Ruger .41 mags. Mostly OM Blackhawks. I don't think he has one of the factory shipped brassie's though.

"41 Mag is my favorite handgun caliber. Don't own ant Rugers"

You need to correct this. :D

A nice Blackhawk,, or if you are partial to the DA's,, then look for a Redhawk!
I meant I don't own any Rugers in 41 Mag. I have a few in other calibers. I've had many Rugers over the years and found that I just can't shoot them as well as I can the S&W revolvers. Just something about how they fit my hand. They are great guns, just don't work as well for me.

Now when it comes to rifles, after my old Rem. Model 8 the Ruger No1 is my favorite rifle. The only problem with them is that I put a few in the gun safe and the next thing I knew it was full of them. I think they are reproducing in there.

I'm not much on .41 Mags, I've only got 7 old models, 6 New Models, a S&W model 57, and a 10" Contender barrel.

The S&W and the Contender were my dad's, and one of the NM Rugers was his too.

-- oops.., I forgot the Bisleys. Add 4 more to the New Model count :sneaky:
I'm still thankful for the NM Blackhawk you sold me. Looks new. That's the one at Tyler Gun Works right now.

contender

Ruger Guru
JiminMaine,, I did understand your post. I meant you need to correct this by getting a few Rugers in .41.

Obviously,, you have tried it,, and chosen otherwise. Or maybe the others can reproduce a Ruger Redhawk in .41 for you, and you can find a set of grips to fit you! :D

WMG,, if my math is correct, you have 19 guns in .41 mag. Hmm,, the collector may have to be asked about Contender barrels & Smiffs. He may have missed those. I know he quoted me just his Rugers.

jyo

Single-Sixer
Back when I was managing one of the largest gun stores in SoCal, we had amazing amounts of all kinds of firearms, even some 41 Mags in stock---during all those years, I never saw a 41 sold in that store! Plenty of 44 Maggies left the store regularly, but 41s just sat there and had to be be dusted off from time to time---same with 41 ammo... I myself, chose Old Model Flattops in 44 before I moved on to Freedom Arms 454 Casull revolvers...

JBP

Single-Sixer
Back when I was managing one of the largest gun stores in SoCal, we had amazing amounts of all kinds of firearms, even some 41 Mags in stock---during all those years, I never saw a 41 sold in that store! Plenty of 44 Maggies left the store regularly, but 41s just sat there and had to be be dusted off from time to time---same with 41 ammo... I myself, chose Old Model Flattops in 44 before I moved on to Freedom Arms 454 Casull revolvers...
You don't know what you are missing. LOL. Before ammo got so damn expensive I would regularly go through 100 rounds per 41 Mag revolver. I can't handle more than 25 rounds of 454 through my Ruger Super Redhawk.

JiminMaine,, I did understand your post. I meant you need to correct this by getting a few Rugers in .41.

Obviously,, you have tried it,, and chosen otherwise. Or maybe the others can reproduce a Ruger Redhawk in .41 for you, and you can find a set of grips to fit you! :D

WMG,, if my math is correct, you have 19 guns in .41 mag. Hmm,, the collector may have to be asked about Contender barrels & Smiffs. He may have missed those. I know he quoted me just his Rugers.
I would like them to reproduce a No 1 in 41 Mag. and 35 Rem.

The .41 mags are truly an underdog when compared in a popularity contest. But to those who understand them,, REALLY like them.
And the Ruger GP MC in 10mm,, I've used one a lot in USPSA competition. I tried using the .40 S&W in it,, but it wasn't as reliable as I needed. (misfires.) By switching to .10mm brass,, my misfires disappeared.
And as noted, there have been Blackhawks made with (2) cylinders,, such as the Buckeye's & the later production convertibles.
38/40, .40 S&W, & 10mm. ALL utilizing the 40 caliber ammo. Gotta love it!
If you were using the factory supplied moon clips, they are only for 10mm in that they are easy to load and unload, and facilitate ejection. They are not for properly headspacing the round. I have the same gun and same problem...

If you buy the TK Custom "thick clips" they properly headspace the .40 S&W rounds... I have also heard that the Ranch Products clips for the S&W 610 will also work (and are less expensive) but not everyone has had the same reliable results... You will also need a moonclip loader and unloader....or have realy, realy strong fingers...

Bob

JBP

Single-Sixer
If you were using the factory supplied moon clips, they are only for 10mm in that they are easy to load and unload, and facilitate ejection. They are not for properly headspacing the round. I have the same gun and same problem...

If you buy the TK Custom "thick clips" they properly headspace the .40 S&W rounds... I have also heard that the Ranch Products clips for the S&W 610 will also work (and are less expensive) but not everyone has had the same reliable results... You will also need a moonclip loader and unloader....or have realy, realy strong fingers...

Bob
2nd the TK Custom moon clips. Been using them for years with never a problem with either 10mm or 40 S&W out of my 610's or 45 ACP out of my 625's.

contender

Ruger Guru
My issues were when using the Ranch Products moon clips.
Since my gun is a 6 round gun, and USPSA allows 8-shot revolvers,, I was handicapped. And in USPSA, you need a LOT of moon clips to shoot a match,, so the expense of TK moons was very cost prohibitive in my opinion due to the fact that I was already handicapped.
Follow that, with the fact I shoot for fun mostly,, I didn't see the need to buy 40-50 TK moons (at $65 per 10 pack,) when I have plenty of .10mm brass.
No argument that TK makes top quality products.
I do have the proper tools to load & unload a moon clip too.

Besides,, my plan was to eventually get the Ruger Super GP-100 in 9mm which is an 8-shot revolver. Which I did.
Ranch moons are fine in that gun!

JBP

Single-Sixer
My issues were when using the Ranch Products moon clips.
Since my gun is a 6 round gun, and USPSA allows 8-shot revolvers,, I was handicapped. And in USPSA, you need a LOT of moon clips to shoot a match,, so the expense of TK moons was very cost prohibitive in my opinion due to the fact that I was already handicapped.
Follow that, with the fact I shoot for fun mostly,, I didn't see the need to buy 40-50 TK moons (at $65 per 10 pack,) when I have plenty of .10mm brass.
No argument that TK makes top quality products.
I do have the proper tools to load & unload a moon clip too.

Besides,, my plan was to eventually get the Ruger Super GP-100 in 9mm which is an 8-shot revolver. Which I did.
Ranch moons are fine in that gun!
It's been over 20 years since I bought TK moon clips for my 610's and 625's and I think that I might sell some if my extras on eBay or Gunbroker to make some money. LOL. Checked the TK site and it was $39.95 for 5 and $75 for 10. Unbelievable!.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep, TK is proud of their stuff. I got my pricing from my Dillon catalog. I got my Ranch Products moons for a LOT less than the TK ones.
And now that I'm using an 8-shot revolver,, AND using Ranch Products moons,, my .10mm in competition isn't an issue.
I'm NOT saying that TK doesn't make good stuff,, but there is a large gap in pricing between the two products.