Ruger 41 Remington Magnums

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JBP

Single-Sixer
Certainly not everyone's round of choice but I've always loved shooting revolver calibers that most people don't. Hence the .41 Rem Mag, .32 H&R Mag., and 10mm (would be a great round out of a Blackhawk and could also shoot .40mm out of the same cylinder both w/o moon clips) . Besides this New Model Blackhawk (dob 1995) and Redhawk (dob 1990). I also have a SP 101 .32 H&R Mag (and maybe one day ammo will be more readily available at a better price).

Attachments

• Ruger 41 Mags.jpg
    Ruger 41 Mags.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 80

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Ruger makes (made?) stainless 10mm x .40 S&W convertible Blackhawks with 2 cylinders. You can't shoot .40 S&W out of a 10mm cylinder since it headspaces on the cartridge mouth, and you can't use moon clips in a single action. So that's why two cylinders.

Well, I guess technically, you might be able to use moon clips in a SA but you'd have to remove the cylinder each time to unload/load. Moon clips are made for simultaneous extraction in a DA, not to simulate a rim for firing a cartridge that is too short for the chamber. Probably would get misfires and poor accuracy.

They made those 10mm x .40 Blackhawks in at least two barrel lengths, 6.5" and 4-5/8".

.41 is my favorite revolver round...

When the GP-100 MC in 10mm came out I ordered one the day after the announcement...has been an excellent shooter with 10mm and .40 S&W.. Would have probably made the best LE revolver of all time.

..and the "little" .327. Hopefully Ruger will bring back more of the models they had and add a LCRX3" with adjustable sights...

Bob

JBP

Single-Sixer
Headspacing is something that in all my years of shooting is something I still can't my head around. Articles and posts on other forums state that both 40 S&W and 10mm headspace on the case mouth with the major physical difference being the case length. I shoot both out of my 2 S&W 610's ( of course using moonclips) just making sure I clean the cylinder really well when using the 40 S&W same as when firing .38 Spl out of my 357's.

I was not aware that Ruger had made 10mm revolvers. If I was I probably would have bought one. LOL. Nothing now on ruger.com but looking at Gunbroker there are a few Blackhawks (some with 38-40) cylinders and a GP 100 in 10MM/40 S&W as well as a couple of Super Redhawks.

contender

Ruger Guru
The .41 mags are truly an underdog when compared in a popularity contest. But to those who understand them,, REALLY like them.
And the Ruger GP MC in 10mm,, I've used one a lot in USPSA competition. I tried using the .40 S&W in it,, but it wasn't as reliable as I needed. (misfires.) By switching to .10mm brass,, my misfires disappeared.
And as noted, there have been Blackhawks made with (2) cylinders,, such as the Buckeye's & the later production convertibles.
38/40, .40 S&W, & 10mm. ALL utilizing the 40 caliber ammo. Gotta love it!

contender

Ruger Guru
"41 Mag is my favorite handgun caliber. Don't own ant Rugers"

You need to correct this. :D

A nice Blackhawk,, or if you are partial to the DA's,, then look for a Redhawk!

Dan in MI

Staff member
Headspacing is something that in all my years of shooting is something I still can't my head around. Articles and posts on other forums state that both 40 S&W and 10mm headspace on the case mouth with the major physical difference being the case length. I shoot both out of my 2 S&W 610's ( of course using moonclips) just making sure I clean the cylinder really well when using the 40 S&W same as when firing .38 Spl out of my 357's.

I was not aware that Ruger had made 10mm revolvers. If I was I probably would have bought one. LOL. Nothing now on ruger.com but looking at Gunbroker there are a few Blackhawks (some with 38-40) cylinders and a GP 100 in 10MM/40 S&W as well as a couple of Super Redhawks.

The first centerfire handgun I shot was 41 mag. That started me down the path of 40 and 41 cal.

Using moon clips the headspacing is controlled by the clip.

Now, Unicorn alert. SS 10mm x40 S&W.

IMG_4878.JPG

Johnnu2

Hunter
I sold my .41 Mag 3-screw and had such remorse, that I bought a Freedom Arms AND this one:

I like the .41 Mag simply because it's a bit unusual....

p.s. I think of 'head spacing' as the measurement that is necessary for the firing pin to hit the primer. It is usually measured in one of two (maybe 3) ways... from the case mouth (on several autos 9mm; 45ACP etc) or from the rear of the cartridge i.e. the rim.

J.

Headspacing is something that in all my years of shooting is something I still can't my head around...

FWIW (& YMMV ;>), I think of headspacing as, "What stops the cartridge from going too far in, if I push a live round into the chamber?"

If a cartridge has a rim on it, the rim stops it. If the cartridge case is bottlenecked, it is stopped by the shoulder, where the case gets bigger. If it's a belted case, the belt stops it. And if it's a straight-wall rimless case, the slightly protruding case mouth stops it.

There are variations. For example, the .38 Super originally headspaced on its small rim, but many newer barrels are chambered so the cartridge actually headspaces on the case mouth. If rimless cases (like .40S&W) are loaded in moonclips, the moonclip can act like a rim and keep them from dropping into the chamber too far, even if the chamber is intended for a longer cartridge like the 10mm. And although it's not generally recommended, cartridges can apparently headspace on the extractor/extractor groove. Some Glock owners reportedly fire .40S&W in their 10mm Glocks; as the short .40 round feeds from the magazine into the long 10mm chamber, the extractor claw grabs the extractor groove and keeps the case from dropping too far in.

As always, FWIW, IMHO, etc., etc.

Last edited:

Enigma

Hunter
I bought a .41 Mag Blackhawk at the Rod and Gun Club in Seoul, Korea, in 1975. No ammo available there. Once I returned to the States, the selection of ammo and reloading components wasn't much better. In those pre-Internet days, you pretty much took what you could find locally, especially with factory ammo. I got tired of trying to find ammo and components, and finally gave up and sold it. I really wanted to like that gun and cartridge, but I've never gone back. These days, I am extremely reluctant to add yet another cartridge to the logistical supply chain, so I'll just have to make do with .44s, .45s, and a single .480.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Certainly not everyone's round of choice but I've always loved shooting revolver calibers that most people don't. Hence the .41 Rem Mag, .32 H&R Mag., and 10mm (would be a great round out of a Blackhawk and could also shoot .40mm out of the same cylinder both w/o moon clips) . Besides this New Model Blackhawk (dob 1995) and Redhawk (dob 1990). I also have a SP 101 .32 H&R Mag (and maybe one day ammo will be more readily available at a better price).
I am the owner of a ballistics file that is mainly built to be able to order ammo at the best prices, or with best ballistics, or for a desired type of bullet, etc.. This file has 34 entries just for the .41 Mag, and each entry has a link to a webpage where you can buy the ammo. Each entry includes the price, price/rd, web address, type of bullet, its rating (for ammo pages that have one), and its ballistics info. If interested, just message me and I will send it to you. It is a PDF file, and it is not realy setup for smart phones since the file is rather large (both downwards and across).

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Have had several OM Blackhawks in 41 mag. LUV them. Preferred it over the 44 mag when guiding on pigs.

hittman

Staff member
About 15 years ago I had the itch for a 41 Mag. Told a couple of friends the ammo availability was holding me back. They introduced me to another local guy who strongly favored the 41 Mag and also would reload for me! Great score for me.

Was my first centerfire revolver as well. Bought the first one because of Dirty Harry movies. I couldn't find a .44Mag locally, plus there was the draw of having something "different". Yes, ammo can be hard to find. The .41 got me started with reloading. At one time I owned an 8 3/8 ", a 6", and a 4", all S&W, all blued. I sold the 6" and the 4", and had such remorse that I bought a Mountain Gun and then bought a NM Blackhawk which is at Bobby Tyler's right now. So I have three. The 8 3/8" one has been Mag-Na-Ported and wears a Leupold 2X scope.

Yes, I like my .41s.

41 Mag is my favorite handgun caliber. Don't own ant Rugers, but have a couple of S&W 57, 58 and a Marlin 1894. Works good on deer.

Many years ago, I came across a nice .41 Magnum Marlin at a local gun shop; it was 'priced to sell', so I let a good friend know it was there (& he grabbed it immediately). If I had more brains than I apparently do, I would have bought it myself!
:)

moparclan

Single-Sixer
My dad got me hooked on the .41, have RedHawks, Blackhawks (three screw and New Models) even a 1 of 1000 Marlin Cowboy in .41 caliber and a Desert Eagle. Great caliber but reloading is the way to go with it because of availability and price of factory ammo.

Latest posts