Ruger 41 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

operator

Bearcat
Bought my first old model today @ Birmingham Gun Show. Looks like it has had some kind of acid splashed on it or spent a lot of time under a truck seat. Converted /no box. GunSmith priced refinish @ $125.00 paid $275 out the door. I hope $400 for a fresh shooter is not too much. Operator
100_0445.jpg

100_0443.jpg

Pictures after a refinish by John Gallagher, another fine job
100_0489.jpg

100_0491.jpg

mattsbox99

Hunter
If its what you want, its worth every penny. I probably would not have paid that much, but I don't shoot .41 Mag, its worth a lot more to 41M fans. For $20 you can buy the chemicals and reblue it yourself.

Welcome to OM's they are pretty sweet revolvers. It will be one sweet gun when you do get it refinished.

Looked again and that serial number looks like 3831! Thats a pretty low number, I'd probably have paid that, too bad its converted.

contender

Ruger Guru
It also looks like it's got mis-matched grip panels. One black eagle & one silver eagle. But,, hey,, you got a nice shooter & the price wasn't too bad. I'd also look for the parts to convert it back too!

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I got one that looked like that once it was a 45 colt. A old fellow had it and kept it under his truck seat wrapped in a bread sack for years. He called it his shooter. I kept it for a while and got rid of it didn't have it refinished. I was thinking of a sandblast and parkerize job for it but never got around to it before someone else wanted it more than me. I kind of wish I had kept it and cut it back to 4 5/8 and parkerized it and put pachmyre grips on it and had a good knock around gun for everyday use.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
Ive seen blood cause damage similiar to that on blued guns but that would be an awful lot of blood on that one. Those OM 41's are hard to find. I would be interested in photos of its transformation. A good canidate for a full custom in the great original caliber of course.

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
Operator,

You might want to give Ruger a call on the refinish. They will also examine it and replace any bad or worn parts. Since it has already been converted, you don't have to worry about that.

I also want to see how it turns out.
DM

Looks a lot like this old model 41 I got last year. Here are the before and after pictures. Rugerguy was great on helping get started on the clean up and it was not hard, just time consuming. John Gallagher did the reblue.
RugerOMs012.jpg

Spence-6Guns009-1.jpg

BlkHawk73

Hunter
It's already converted so maybe send it back to Ruger for a refinish. They'll also go through it and goof chance replace other parts as required at low cost if not for free. Don't send it expecting free and be disappointed if it's not but having seen their refinishes, it's not a bad deal at all.
As for the gun itself... the .41 mag is a great chambering - love mine. More than I'd have paid but it's worth what is to YOU! A refinish and some nice grip panels and you'll have a great looking shooter to enjoy. :)

operator

Bearcat
Thanks for the advice about sending it to Ruger for a refinish. John Gallagher was at the show and looked at it before I bought it. Since he lives about 15 min away from me, there would be no round trip shipping and I know John does 1st rate work. This will be about 6 times he has worked on something for me. Operator
Ps. be glad to show pictures when completed Thanks

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Gallagher is my go-to 'smith as well. Done a few for me and will be getting at least two more soon.

Pictures would be a must - keep these pics to show the before and after for a real comparison.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
Looks good, I have seen a gun left in a wet holster do that before may have been the case there. I will have to look into John's work I have an old model 41 mag that would look good refinished mine is a 4 5/8" four digit serial number that has been converted as well.

Latest posts