Ruger #3 in 45/70

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stan in SC

Bearcat
Proposed possible acquisition is a .Ruger #3 in 45/70.I've been a great fan of the caliber for awhile now.I have an opportunity to possibly purchase a Ruger #3 in 45/70 from a friend of a friend if we can arrive at a mutually satisfactory price.I need to know the con's.I am full of the pros.
I've heard that the #3 in that caliber is an unusually hard recoiler due to the configuration of the stock.
How many different models of this are there in #3 configuration?
Any and all comments will be most appreciated.Thank you.

Stan in SC

The #3 is a model in itself, with all configurations, that I'm aware of being the same. The cataloged calibers were 45-70, 375 Winchester, 30-40 Krag, 223 Rem, 22 hornet, and 44 Rem Mag. There are other uncataloged calibers that I am not up on. I have or have had all of them at one time or another. Some folks like to restock them with #1 wood, especially the 45-70's to help alleviate some of the recoil and to make a nice looking custom. My 2 cents.

Dave

Tweesdad

Bearcat
To the best of my knowledge, the only con to the #3 in 45/70 is the recoil with stout loads.
My Dad bought one new when they first came out. I have been using it for years as a Deer, Bear, Boar and Moose gun. In the field, when shooting at game I never feel it go off. At the range, it kicks like a crazed mule. Of course, I don't use factory ammo, and all my experience has been with 350 - 405 grainers in the 2000 - 2100 fps range.
After years of being beat up, I am now in the market for a different stock. Either a #1 or an old #3 that I can cut down and mount a recoil pad.
Hope this helps

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
factory ammo is a pussycat in the Number 3.
Marlin 1895 level loads get a bit "thumpy" cause the rifle is light.
Ruger Only loads, 400-500 grain bullets at top velocities WILL get your attention.

It's been called the poor man's 458 Win Mag and think of that round in a 6.5 pound rifle... I liked mine with a 405 grain hard cast bullet at 1900 fps but that isnt a bench load. Nope. ;) Fun as all get out but smack you good.

MADISON

Single-Sixer
I had one...
I got rid of the metal butplate and installed an after market rubber one. They were available for about $10.00. It also fits a 10/22 and Mini-14.

My load was off the wall 300 gr. 20 grains of 2400.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Stan

I hope you are able to get the number 3. They are excellent rifles, and since they have been discontinued for so long, the going rate on them is pretty much the same as a Number 1.

As far as variations, it would go something like this--
the very first ones were not drilled and tapped for scope mounts
the liberty model came along in 1976, and the metal buttplate was phased out giving way to a plastic one. In late 77 or 78 the warning was added to the barrel address stamp.

Good luck. and let us know what you end up with

Ron

Stan in SC

Bearcat
Thank you all very much for the comments.I am determined to buy it if the price is affordable.I will indeed keep any progress posted.

Stan in SC

pete44ru

Hunter
Just remember, Stan - Self Christmas gifts are the best kind. 8)

You ALWAYS get exactly what you want ! ;) :mrgreen:

This year, mine is a new .410 O/U. :shock:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Have a .45-70 #3 on hold for me I'll be heading to look at in a day or two. Have a #1 in the same chambering but no #3's here. The price is right soo... ;)