Ruger 256 Hawkeye Scope Base

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GJN11

Bearcat
I have a 256 hawkeye and after much soul searching I've decided to shoot it. The question I have is I know the barrel is drilled and taped for a scope base. If I use the scope base designed for that can I use that with weaver rings or some other readily available rings to mount a Leupold scope? If not what was that base designed to be used with? Thanks for any assistance.

Welcome to the Forum..... the base designed for the hawkeye uses the 'Bushnell Phantom' type scope, a small , short base actually.
If you are going to use the Weaver style, you will have to find a Weaver base, that matches the hole pattern , thats out on
top of the barrel. Off hand I do NOT know of the number, as we always just 'modified' a rounded bottom base , such as the 62 and "added" an extra hole to this base, NOT to the gun... Far too many have been drilled and tapped on the 'top strap' to mount any number of variations of optics over the years.... do NOT do this and "ruin" the value of your gun,any good smith can modify the base plate for you.

------------------
Dan
NRAAvatar.jpg

Patron