Ruger 25-06 Target.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

valkrider8

Single-Sixer
I have a Ruger heavy barrel/varmint 223 and it's scary accurate. I also have heard a lot of good things about the 25-06, sounds like a good combination to me.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Aside from my Creedmoor, the second most accurate rifle I have is a Ruger 25/06.

Even in the big VT, I'd prefer the 6.5C recoil to the 25/06 recoil. Yes, the 6.5C does give up ~300 FPS, and the 25/06 can run lighter varmint bullets but the 6.5 can run heavier LRT bullets. I like them both, 25/06 is my favorite cartridge.

fyimo

Bearcat
The 25-06 is an awesome flat shooting round that easily takes Deer including Mule Deer with ease.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I have the 223, 25.06, 6.5 and 308. The 223 is thus far most accurate, the 25.06 was a bit of a pain to get shooting well. The 6.5 Creedmoor is the one I have best hopes for and the 308 does well too. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 77Vs. Even if you don't reload there are plenty of good factory tafget loads out there for all of the above except the 25.06.

At what range are you shooting?

flattop-johnny

Bearcat
I'll just add to fanbase for the 6.5 Creedmoor....absolutely scary accurate..... so much so I had went out and bought an All-Weather Hawkeye in the Creed, and had it re-stocked in a compact laminate for treestand and stillhunting...I know it sounds weird, but really shoulders well when in a climber and good for fast target aquisition in winter hunting clothes.
The short LOP really only bothers me from the bench.
Anyway, don't think you'd have any problems with the 77Target in the caliber of your choice.

Good shootin'
johnny

kemper

Bearcat
I have the 77V in 223 and 22LR and they are two of the most accurate rifles I own. Love the 2 stage triggers. They shoot much better than I can shoot them. Both sub-MOA with the right ammo

66goat

Bearcat
I have one in 25-06 similar to what Lamplighter showed. At first I thought I had bought a lemon. Shooting Hornady factory 117 gr at 100yds would usually have a couple of subpar 3" groups and a flier. Needless to say I was very disappointed, however that recently changed.

I measure the jump and found it a 0.053 with the Hornady factory ammo. I loaded up some 117 gr Hornady using H4831sc with the jump set at 0.020 and it is like a new rifle. I loaded from 49.3gr to 52.9 gr per the Hornady manual. The 49.3gr was the best 3 shot group at ~0.586 MOA per the OnTarget program . I am very pleased and will work some more to see if I can dial it in some more.

I also plan on trying some lighter 100gr in the future as I have heard the Nosler yield good results
34328d1328418811-25-06-results-when-using-oal-gauge-image.jpg
[/url]

I have the same rifle as Lamplighter in .204 Ruger (without the bi-pod). Thinking about selling that one but haven't done photos to put it up on Classifieds.

.204s a great round, tiny recoil, no barrel jump. But not a deer round. I had great visions of Coyote hunting, never had good access to them.

loiblb

Single-Sixer
Got the .223 and .243 Varmint sweet shooters. A 25-06 Varmint would be welcome in my safe.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
flattop-johnny said:
I'll just add to fanbase for the 6.5 Creedmoor....absolutely scary accurate..... so much so I had went out and bought an All-Weather Hawkeye in the Creed, and had it re-stocked in a compact laminate for treestand and stillhunting...I know it sounds weird, but really shoulders well when in a climber and good for fast target aquisition in winter hunting clothes.

The short LOP really only bothers me from the bench.

Anyway, don't think you'd have any problems with the 77Target in the caliber of your choice.

Good shootin'
johnny

Just spent the day at the range with the Creedmoor. When people ask about the caliber it's usually followed up with "well it's just for target shooting, right ......?" 8)