Ruger .22 Mark II wobbly barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TheEye

Bearcat
Hello Everyone.
New here, and still learning some of the technical terms, so forgive me if I misuse terms to describe my problem.

I have a Mark II pistol that the barrel is loose and rocks ever so slightly in the receiver. I have attempted a few 'home remedies' including shoving tissue paper in the barrel slot where it comes together. This worked for a little while, but eventually wore out.

I asked a gun shop if a gunsmith would fix it and they told me to send it to Ruger. So I called Ruger, and found that if I ship it to them, they will make any repair necessary and ship it back to me for about $85. This sounded good to me till I found out to ship it to them I would have to jump through hoops at the UPS store, and then it would cost me nearly $100 to ship.

That being said, I have been told I can get a Mark II lower for less money and do the work on it myself. I have no issue with this, but always felt it's better to let Ruger fix it to factory specs.

Has anyone else dealt with this? I would greatly appreciate some opinions on what the best way of getting this gun fixed. It was my first pistol I ever bought, got it used w/ a scope, nice match trigger, and sweet wooden grips. Its been out of action for almost a year now and I am anxious to get it working.

In the mean time... I bought a Ruger 22/45 Model Number: 10150. I didn't want that exact model but it was the only one left at the store when I went, and I got swept up in the hoopla. Anyway, what I am wondering is if anyone has ever removed the rear site on the model, and if so, HOW?! There are no screws I can see, and it appears to be secured to the gun with some kind of adhesive. Is there a trick to taking it off, or should it not be removed?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate your input.

Cheers!

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Welcome.

The first issue is tough to answer without knowing what model MKII you have with the loose receiver. We don't know it's history, etc. The uppers and lowers are generally interchangeable but since the 22/45 has a polymer lower, Ruger peens the lock tab to insure a tighter fit. Mixing and matching can provide a loose fit.

TheEye

Bearcat
The pistol with the wobbly barrel is a Mark II Target Pistol just like this one:
Ruger%20MKII%201%20.JPG

Not sure what the exact model number would be.

I have been told this is a common problem, but when I try to find info online, I don't find much.

The big expense in shipping this to Ruger was after demonstrating to UPS there is a gun in the package, it then needs to be shipped overnight to Ruger. So with the weight of the gun, overnight shipping was looking to be about $80-$100.
I paid about $350 new (to me, used really), w/ the scope and all, and really am not sure what the best value is here.

Thanks again for the input.

Kevets

Bearcat
Reword your problem and call Ruger again. I'd be surprised if you can't get them to cover the shipping.

oilcangary

Single-Sixer
I have never tried this but I had a gunsmith tell me to squeeze the grip/frame together and it would tighten it up.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
There was a post on shimming your frame for a tighter fit several years back. I think it involved epoxying a piece of aluminum from a beer can onto the frame lug that the receiver engages. If no one here has a better solution try the guys at rimfire central.

If you have to ship it back to Ruger do not use a UPS Store. Go to a UPS Shipping Center or FedEx. UPS Stores are always higher than the Shipping Centers and many of the stores refuse to ship guns.

Best Regards,
ADP3

TheEye

Bearcat
I should have been more clear. Ruger told me when I ship it to them I could ONLY ship it UPS, I would have to take it to the UPS shipping center directly. So when I called UPS about it, they told me I would need to bring it to a main shipping center, show them the gun is packed in the box, and then I would be required to ship it overnight.

I apologize for saying 'ups store' in previous post, that wasn't very clear, I meant UPS shipping center. There is one close to me, about 8 miles away, so although inconvenient, it isn't that far.

I have also read about different techniques to fix this, but since I currently live in an apartment and have limited access to tools, as well as this being a gun I intend on shooting in the future, I am not comfortable attempting a repair in this manner.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
There are, at least, two schools of thought on how to tighten the frame to receiver fit:
One involves (as mentioned above) a shim between the frame and receiver. This is most often done as a debris shield near the lug in the front of the frame:
http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215624
The other method (also mentioned above) is to put the frame in a padded vise and and bend the frame lips enough to tighten the fit:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=71381&sid=2c893d71bffaa0a8767d3f0261560d23
*As an alternative to this, using padded pliers (ideally vise grips) bend just the tips/corners of the frame lips slightly to tighten the fit. I've had good results with this method doing only the front corners of the frame.
Regards,
Greg

AkRay

Single-Sixer
How about taking it to an FFL holder, like a gunsmith and having him look at it? If he doesn't think he should try to repair it, then he should be able to ship it to Ruger for you and hopefully for less than UPS will.

WHS1972

Bearcat
I had the same problem and a tech at Ruger told me the way they fix them is to take a ball peen hammer and smack the lug on the barrel that hooks under the receiver. I did it myself and it works just fine. Just keep hitting it harder until you get the desired results.

Dieter

Bearcat
DonD said:
I'm not questioning you but am surprised at your quoted price for shipping the gun. Maybe you can go 2nd day air for less? Last time I shipped a gun wasn't all that long ago and I paid something less than $45 with UPS. Don

Second that. Price sounds a bit crazy. I do a lot of overnight and 2nd day shipping (albeit, not guns) - sounds a bit out there. Contact Ruger again and ask them how much they think you should be paying - I mean they should know for when it gets shipped back in either covering the cost or charging you. Should be the same going to Ruger. Make sure you aren't talking to someone at UPS that doesn't know what they are talking about, might want to ask for a supervisor to confirm.

But if you do anything, I'd recommend having Ruger do it. And then con them into covering the shipping or something. I mean you just bought another Ruger despite the issue - and you'd REALLY like to recommend Rugers to your friends, especially if you have a good experience with the repair........ 8)