Ruger 22/45 Mark III Mainspring Housing Stuck

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jl39775

Bearcat
I originally posted this in the wrong forum. Here's my second attempt.

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I recently bought a Ruger 22/45 Mark III and love it. I practiced assembling and disassembling and got real good at it after about 5 tries. This was tedious at first, but, with a little practice I was able to break it down and put it together 1 and 1/2 minutes.

Recently, after cleaning it, things weren't operating correctly. My mainspring housing got stuck. I couldn't swing the mainspring housing open to remove the pin. My bolt would only go back a little and my magazine had to be forced in. If you have the same issue, you don't have to take it to a gunsmith. It is easy to fix. Here's a quick 2 minute video that shows you how to fix it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWxtnC8amO4. Good luck.

pwberndt

Bearcat
Thanks jl,

A hammer can fix anything!

I have a 22/45 that is a great shoot but I hate the cleaning. I've not gotten as quick as you and have not had this problem (Knocking on Wood) as of yet. When I first purchased the pistol I found, online, the Majestic Arms Speed Strip kit that replaces the bolt hold pin with a threaded pin that unscrews from the top. With this, you don't have to bother about all the maneuvers required to strip the pistol for cleaning. If I remember, there was a part that improved the trigger, if the trigger needed improvement.

Since the pistol is a keeper, I'm considering purchasing this kit and wonder if you or anyone else on the list has made this change and could provide feedback?

Take care and thanks again for the pointer,
Paul

Advice from a longtime 22/45 owner. Those pistols don't need to be taken apart all that often.
I don't neglect firearms or their maintenance but I also don't take stuff apart just to feel the innards unless there's a real need.
I don't pull the pistons out of a vehicle's engine when it only needs an oil change, either.

Latest posts