Ruger 22/24 Mark III and 22/45 Mark IVm magazines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fanner50

Bearcat
I screwed up the title and don't know how to change it. I have a Ruger MARK III 22/45 Tactical and just today I purchased a Ruger MARK IV 22/45 LITE, SKU 43927. The magazines for both look identical except for the finish. My Mark III magazines are a dull black finish while the Mark IV magazines are E-Nickel finish. I see no difference except in the color of the finish on the magazines, yet Ruger says it is not recommended to use Mark IV magazines in a Mark III gun and vice versa. Can anyone tell me why? The magazines look identical. Is Ruger just blowing smoke to get people to buy more magazines? Has anyone tried a Mark III magazine in a Mark IV gun? If so what was the outcome? I'm specifically talking about the Mark III 22/45 and the Mark IV 22/45 LITE. Thanks everyone.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
The main difference in the Mark III and Mark IV magazines is the base plate. There is 1/4 inch behind the back of the magazines in the Mark III. The Mark IV magazines are flush.

All you have to do is grind off that 1/4 inch and the mags will work in both guns.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Well, for one thing, there's been a bit of confusion involved with the above magazine descriptions. If the conversation only involves Ruger Mark III 22/45 vs Ruger Mark IV 22/45 pistol magazines, that should be noted in the answer. Might be very important for those who don't know, and therefore can't answer.
Instead, we have a post above involving just the designation: "The main difference in the Mark III and Mark IV magazines is the base plate."
Using only that description, the magazines will indeed interchange very smoothly, and the bases are the same exact type, for the pistols mentioned.

Fanner50

Bearcat
I was asking about Mark III 22/45 and Mark IV 22/45 magazine interchangeably. Ruger says not too, even though the outward appearance of each respective magazine looks identical. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with interchanging them and what the outcome of that experience was. Thanks.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Fanner50 said:
I was asking about Mark III 22/45 and Mark IV 22/45 magazine interchangeably. Ruger says not too, even though the outward appearance of each respective magazine looks identical. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with interchanging them and what the outcome of that experience was. Thanks.

I do have 10 Mark III 22/45 magazines that I converted as above. All now work in both my Mark III and Mark IV. They all also work in my Black Mamba.

Latest posts