Ruger #1RSI 30-06

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MarinePride

Bearcat
:D I recently purchase a Ruger #1 RSI in 30-06. I have fired it, out of the box, at 75 yards and was very impressed with the iron sights :eek: . With some minor adjustment I was consistantly in the black.
My question. Recommendations for a reasonably priced scope for it. As always, I appreciate the help.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
When I had a #1 RSI the scope I used was a Leupold Vari-X II, 2-7x in "low" rings. In my opinion it was the right size for the rifle; I think compact rifles like that look silly with 50mm objectives and 14x scopes.

A

Anonymous

+ 1 for Trey. The 2x7 is a good choice. I put a little M8 4x on my 77rsi because I too like a compact scope on my rifle. The trend today seems to be buy yourself a lightweight rifle and then put a giant scope that weighs about 4 lbs. Other than when I was shooting groundhogs at 300-500 yards I never have needed more than 4x for hunting and even when I was a varmit nut I used my old K-10 because I found that much higher magnification gave me too much mirage and too much wobble. A 2x7 is nice though because you can use the 2x for hunting and the 7x for the range.

valkrider8

Single-Sixer
I have a 2x7 32mm Nikon on my RSI. I never understand why someone would buy a compact, lightweight rifle and then put a big heavy scope with an objective the size of a 16 oz. beer cup !!! :shock: :lol: I also used the "low" rings. Nice gun, good luck with it.

Fred M

Bearcat
Here are a couple suggestions.
Top is a straight Burris HBR 6x on a 7x57 No 1A
Bottom is 1.5 to5x Leo on a #3 375 Win.
Both of these scopes are trim and very light.

IMGP0149.jpg

PICT0121.jpg

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
Love the 2x7 VXII and the VX3 2.5 X 8 is not a bad choice either.

Good shooting -Steve

63November

Single-Sixer
IMG_04733.JPG

Weaver 2.5X on a 1-S. I haven't found "only" 2.5 magnification to ever be an issue at the distances I use my light compact rifles - and that easily gets you to 300 if you need to go there. And their size seems to fit the rifles well. (No, I am definitely not a Hubble guy!)

Fulldraw™

Bearcat
The Leupold VXIII 2.5 X 8 X 36 is perhaps one of the best all-around riflescopes on the market. This scope is bright, both Early and late when it counts.

It has excellent eye relief, which is a big plus when it's intended use is for a No.1. It just looks good a No.1, and would serve your RSI in 30-06 nicely!

I have one mounted on a No.1 AB in 25-06 and it makes for a sweet set-up that is well balanced, light weight, and points so naturally!!!

A

Anonymous

63November Good looking rifle. My buddy acquired a #1 in 450/400 and after several attempts couldn't find a scope that would suit him . I gave him my old K2.5 and told him to quit messing around and wasting $$. He's finally happy.

63November

Single-Sixer
Thanks. I've contemplated the idea of acquiring a Leupold in the same power, but the Weavers - I have three- have been such good optics on the hard recoilers I've run them on that I have had a hard time getting past the idea that I need "better" scopes instead. I guess eventually, assuming I buy other rifles that are well-suited to this kind of scope, I'll end up with a 2.5X Leu or two since Weaver stopped making them.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
I have a Weaver 2x7 rimfire love that scope on my .17 Ruger. I agree if it ain't broke why fix it.

Good shooting---Steve