Ruger 1B Rebareling Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
I have an excellent condition Ruger 1B originally in 7 mm Rem Mag that I had foolishly rechambered to 7 mm STW. Before I contacct Ruger, has anyone ever had a #1 rebarreled by Ruger and the approx. cost? Want to gift this rifle to my Son for his first elk rifle. Do you think there would be any interest in selling this rifle as is to include dies, cases etc?

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Probably better to sell it and buy another one that hasn't been altered. I'm not sure Ruger even does rebarreling for the Number One anymore. They divested of all? of their parts some time ago, but maybe keep some in reserve for warranty work or "special" people. Again, not sure about 7mm Mag No. 1 barrels though.

FWIW, I too am an ASA veteran. :wink:

instructor

Single-Sixer
Suggestion for you is to contact Douglas Barrel Co. for I have a NO 1 and 3 with their barrels on them and they work fine. Mr. Tim Gardner is the owner, and his side kick is Stan Tayor and either of these could be of assistance to you. Caliber/case may require a different extractor than whatever you have now, but I sourced mine from Brownell's at the time. My NO 1 has a barrel in calibers 348 Win. and 22-250 and the NO 3 is 45/70 and 6BR. Any good gunsmith can switch them out as desired. Again, just a suggestion.

dave2091

Single-Sixer
I sent an email to Ruger a couple of weeks ago about rebarreling a 1-A in 30-06. This was their reply on 2/4/2022:

"To re-barrel the No.1 is approximatelyT$400.00 to $450.00 . The actual cost will be determined after the firearm has been evaluated. If there is a charge, someone will contact you before any repairs are done. After payment is received, the turnaround time is approximately 4 to 6 weeks after we receive it into the system. This can vary depending on what the technician finds at the time of evaluation."

I didn't ask about rebarreling to a different cartridge/caliber, as I have read in quite a few places that they won't do that. Didn't seem like too bad of a price, and turn-around time seemed very reasonable. I would like to switch to something different (maybe .284 win or 300 Sav?) in a medium weight barrel, but assume the cost might be considerably more? I'd be interested to know costs from anyone who's gone this route.

instructor

Single-Sixer
Reason I mentioned about having Douglas build different barrels was due to cost of buying another rifle versus the barrel change. Doing so and having calibers that I wanted much less than buying an entirely different rifle is considerable and also can select whatever caliber you desire.