Ruger 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pops 1

Single-Sixer
The word is Ruger is showing it off at The Shot Show. I hope if it is true that they do not have to recall it last the last two new models.

snakespit

Bearcat
we will see. Ruger has really been surpriseing me lately with their new products. SR556, SR22, LCP,

why not An SR1911?

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Make it around $500 bones and make sure the barrel doesn't peen and they'll sell like hotcakes.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Sure, if you have decided to just copy guns that have worked for other companies a 1911 clone is an obvious choice. I just hope the go the route of the SR-556 and make a high end gun.

I would buy one!

Mike J

Hunter
Someone on another forum posted that Mas Ayoob had made mention in an article in Backwoods Home Magazine that Ruger had a 1911 ready for release.

revhigh

Hawkeye
There's only ONE way for Ruger to succeed with a 1911. Produce a high quality, reasonably finished, ACCURATE 1911 for $500 street price. This would put it $150 below the Springfield Armory MilSpec and about $100 more than the entry level Rock Island Armory GI model, which is where Ruger's market share is.

Get up in the $600 range, and people who know 1911's will buy a Springfield every time. Get it up in the $750-800 range and people will buy Colts every time.

They should make a bare bones, nicely finished semi-accurized 1911, in blue or stainless ... that's IT. NOTHING MORE. Forget the stupid checkering everywhere, additional slide serrations, beavertails, skeletonized triggers, etc, etc, etc. Taurus has a real nice model in the PT1911, but they went overboard with the cosmetic doodads and tried to convince people that it was a $1200 gun, which it isn't. It's a $500 gun with a bunch of factory cosmetics that are worth about $100 total.

It's not hard to accurize a 1911 on the cheap, and if Ruger would concentrate on exceptional accuracy combined with a gun that's just a little more refined than the RIA GI model. They'll have a winner. Of course no matter where they price it, they'll sell some to people who will buy anything that says Ruger, but that won't make the line a success. Price it at $900-1000 MSRP, and it's DOA.

Oh ... one other thing it will need .... NO RECALLS !!!!!

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
If they do it my way it will be a success. People LOVE inexpensive 1911's. The RIA's sell like hotcakes, and so do the midrange Springfields, and even the Taurus PT1911's. If they can split that difference (RIA and SA), with above average accuracy, current 1911 owners will buy, as well as entry level 1911 folks. Price it like they did the SR556, and like that model, it will fail, IMO. Who needs a $2000 AR when perfectly good ones can be bought for $900. I don't get that.

I'd love to see a 1911 with above average accuracy that's a little more cosmetically refined than the RIA. I'd probably even buy one .... after the recall ... LOL.

REV

welder

Buckeye
Rev, good post. I could not agree more. I am a 1911 guy and am partial to SA and for good reason. However I think you nailed it about the possible Ruger version. I would probably buy one if it was made as you describe, just because it's a 1911. I would pass though if it was loaded with gimmicks.

railroader

Single-Sixer
A low end 1911 from ruger would be nice. Just no GI sights, nothing fancy but big enough to see easily. Also a decent trigger say 4.5lbs. Mark

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
If Ruger does make one, I figure they will make it for the California (and other restrictive states).

What do I mean by that? It will have a loaded chamber indicator, and Magazine disconnect.

If I understand the laws of California correctly, those features are required for new gun sales, and would put Ruger as the only 1911 name in those places. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Charlie

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'd like to say you're wrong Charlie, but I don't doubt that that may happen. If it does happen that way, I WON'T buy one, no matter the price or accuracy. If it's not a standard mil-based 1911, I won't be interested, and neither will most 1911 folks. So ... given that, Ruger will probably put a mag disconnect in it, a loaded chamber indicator, move all the controls, price it at $1500, and give it the accuracy of a P85.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
welder":3amkl7zb said:
I am a 1911 guy and am partial to SA and for good reason.

Hey Welder !!

All my current 1911's are Colts, but several buddies have Springfields, and I'll tell you, they are ONE FINE WEAPON. I absolutely LOVE the fit and finish and workmanship on the SA's. A good friend bought an older mid level used SS SA at a gunshow that had had about $250 worth of custom work done by SA before it left the factory. Still had the SA receipt and letter for the trigger work, and light accurizing like the bushing and such.

That damn gun has the best trigger I've ever felt on a 1911. It's very light, and for range use only, but it is spectacular ... virtually no take up ... no creep ... no grit ... it breaks like a glass rod. It is also incredibly accurate ... as good as my Gold Cups easily. He got it for $650, and I told him at the time if he didn't buy it, that I would. Unfortunately he did buy it, but I still get to shoot it at will when we go to the range. :D

Springfields are awesome ... I'm gonna have to git me one !

REV

revhigh":1zvxcnw9 said:
I'd like to say you're wrong Charlie, but I don't doubt that that may happen. If it does happen that way, I WON'T buy one, no matter the price or accuracy. If it's not a standard mil-based 1911, I won't be interested, and neither will most 1911 folks. So ... given that, Ruger will probably put a mag disconnect in it, a loaded chamber indicator, move all the controls, price it at $1500, and give it the accuracy of a P85.

REV
OH GAWD NOOO!! :-(

Rev. What do you think of Kimber? Too much MIM? I used to have a Kimber Compact Stainless (NOT II series) it was pre-mim. But a really good deal came along I couldn't pass on and had to sell it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Not a MIMber fan DA ..... sorry ....

The Monster Cable of 1911's ....

Just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are worth ! :D

REV

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I have a Kimber Stainless Gold Match that predates the series II and I love it. Great thigger, very accurate. It was nearly a custom shop grade gun.

Its my only 1911 now but years ago I had a series 80 Colt Gold Cup. I just didn't like how that gun bit my hand and I didn't want to add the beavertail safety as the gun was in extreemely nice shape. Sold it always planning to buy the Kimber which I did a couple years later.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hi QB,

I have 7 or 8 Colts, including 3 Gold Cups, and have never had an issue with being 'bitten' yet ... for that matter, I've never been bitten by ANY 1911. I will concede that the pre-series II Kimbers were better/more accurate guns than the current ones. I've just always liked the Colts.

But lately, I can REALLY see myself picking up a Springfield MilSpec and having a little work done to the trigger and bushing/barrel combo. Those SA's sure are nice. :D

REV

Snake45

Hawkeye
revhigh":vg2h2hui said:
I have 7 or 8 Colts, including 3 Gold Cups, and have never had an issue with being 'bitten' yet ... for that matter, I've never been bitten by ANY 1911.

REV
Me neither, except Commanders and old 1911s. Never by an A1. Browning HPs with the round hammer eat me alive but the spur hammer is no problem.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I think the 1911 bites based on the shape of your hand and perhaps the way you hold it too. My gold cup would cut the web of my hand bad enough I would bleed on the gun. It was no fun so I just never shot it much. Just a well as I sold it for way more then I paid for it.

I just know I would never buy another 1911 without the beavertail assuming I plan to shoot it. Then again, I am a glock guy too so my oppinion many not count!