Ruger 1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Quarterbore":71vvg7j5 said:
My gold cup would cut the web of my hand bad enough I would bleed on the gun.

Then again, I am a glock guy too so my oppinion many not count!

Just a well as I sold it for way more then I paid for it.

Wow, I wouldn't shoot it either if it did that LOL.

As one Glock guy to another, I count your opinion. :D

Regarding selling price being higher than purchase price .... yeah ... Colts tend to do that.

REV

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
revhigh":31eudhys said:
I'd like to say you're wrong Charlie, but I don't doubt that that may happen. If it does happen that way, I WON'T buy one, no matter the price or accuracy. If it's not a standard mil-based 1911, I won't be interested, and neither will most 1911 folks. So ... given that, Ruger will probably put a mag disconnect in it, a loaded chamber indicator, move all the controls, price it at $1500, and give it the accuracy of a P85.

REV

That is the way I see it. With the MKIII, 22/45 MKIII, P345, SR9 all having those features, I can not see an upcoming 1911 treated any different, especially as Ruger would like to sell the 1911's to the California market, and I am pretty sure that those features are required to sell in California. If I am right about those requirements, then it would put ruger as the only way to go for new 1911's. I also suspect that it will be a tricked out version, with a actual selling price of $700+

I suspect that I would not buy one.

I do not mind Magazine disconnects and LCI's if they are done correctly. My Luger has those features, and they are done correctly on that firearm.

Charlie

welder

Buckeye
All my current 1911's are Colts, QUOTE

REV, I hope my next 1911 is a Colt. I have a series 1 Kimber and a Springer but still yearn for "the real McCoy" . I have wanted a Colt Commander ever since I held one at my LGS. Something about them you just can't explain. The Springfields are hard to beat for the money and I've had very good service from both my GI and my compact. The 3.5" compact actually prefers hollow points both in accuracy and cycling and that is a plus. I believe, if you pick up a SA you'll be pleased with it but I think the Colts are probably tops, all things considered. It's just tough to beat a good 1911, especially one that is a sweet shooter.

Snake45

Hawkeye
welder":d5s18ujo said:
I have wanted a Colt Commander ever since I held one at my LGS. Something about them you just can't explain.
I have four LW Commanders, two real Colts and two homebuilt clones on old Fed Ord Ranger LW frames. You're right, something about the Commander just feels "right." The odd thing is that the LWs don't seem to kick much if any more than an all-steel 5" 1911, and a steel-framed Combat Commander actually seems to kick less.
Here's one of mine, a 1966 Colt that I rebuilt from junk, castoff, and random generic parts, along with my son's Kimber.

Kimber.jpg

welder

Buckeye
Good lookin rigs there Snake. I'll keep on looking for a Commander and hope to find a good one used. I like the Kimber you posted too. I almost bought the compact custom back in 97 or 98 whenever I first saw them?? It would have made a good companion to my full size custom. The Kimber was my first 1911 and I got the bug because of it and didn't look back.

revhigh

Hawkeye
welder":102agmvd said:
I'll keep on looking for a Commander and hope to find a good one used.

Also keep your eye out for a 1991 A1 Compact ... I have one of them in parkerized, and it has a tpaered barrel and match bushing, and it shoots great for a compact 1911. I'll try to post a pic of it tommorrow, but it looks just like the Commander, although it ISN'T lightweight. It shoots really, really well.

REV

piratedude

Single-Sixer
It seems like a great time to dump Ruger stock. I'm not sure what is up with this company but they are drinking their own Kool-aid. They can't make a plastic 9mm, how are they going to make a 1911?

Besides, the height of the 1911 craze was back in the 90's. Today there are a ton of companies that offer 1911s, and I would bet that if anything sales are down. The 1911 is a hundred year old design. I'm surprised that people are still buying them, If I ever were going to buy one, which I probably won't, I'd just get a Colt for the purity angle. Its not a gun I really want though.

With Ruger's QC, I can't imagine its 1911 being anything but a nightmare. People complain about Kimber's MIM parts, I imagine that most of Ruger's will be cast.... like Ruger's other guns.

As for the California angle, a lot of companies including Colt, Wilson, Springfield Armory, Taurus and Kimber are already Califronia approved. There are a ton of 1911's already for sale there. So Ruger isn't going to have a free ride there.

revhigh

Hawkeye
piratedude":2mtu537a said:
Besides, the height of the 1911 craze was back in the 90's. Today there are a ton of companies that offer 1911s, and I would bet that if anything sales are down. The 1911 is a hundred year old design. I'm surprised that people are still buying them, If I ever were going to buy one, which I probably won't, I'd just get a Colt for the purity angle. Its not a gun I really want though.

I've been hearing this same argument about the 1911 for about the last 40 years. 40 years ago, people said the 1911 was dead ... it was a 60 year old design. 30 years ago, people said the 1911 was dead ... it was a 70 year old design. 20 years ago, people said the 1911 was dead ... it was a 80 year old design. 10 years ago, people said the 1911 was dead ... it was a 90 year old design. Now, people say the 1911 is dead ... it's a 100 year old design. Yet it persists, prospers, and most very experienced shooters still proclaim it the best and most accurate auto design ever produced. Why do you think that is ?? All those people who have bought MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of 1911's over the years are STILL buying them. How strange.

About the only people who I've ever heard this viewpoint from have been younger, wonder-nine generation folks. Not that that's bad ... enjoy the guns you like, but to say that the 1911 is essentially a blast from the past is surely a misguided point of view.

I can't tell you how many people have told me that they HATE 1911's, can't shoot them well, can't afford a $2000 gun, etc, etc. I've taught countless people to shoot 1911's who previously 'couldn't hit the broad side of a barn' with one, and invariably they have ended up buying one, and later admitting that it had become their favorite auto platform.

As a carry gun, the 1911 has certainly been eclipsed by the plastic wonder-nine/.40's, because of several reasons ... safety, liability, and primarily capacity.

The 1911 is going nowhere, and in the next few years, with the 100 year anniversary, it will be incredibly popular with all of the special editions that will be offered.

REV

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I agree Rev. Look at all of us buying old single action revolvers, and that design is a whole lot older then the 1911. I carry a Glock 19 every where I go but when I want to punch paper I much prefer the 1911 or better yet a good revolver.

I personally am not comfortable carying a cocked and locked 1911 in a conceiled carry holster but I have zero problems carying the Glock 19 loaded with one in the chamber. Other people are directly the opposite but having choices is always a good thing.

piratedude

Single-Sixer
revhigh":3n70yjg1 said:
About the only people who I've ever heard this viewpoint from have been younger, wonder-nine generation folks. Not that that's bad ... enjoy the guns you like, but to say that the 1911 is essentially a blast from the past is surely a misguided point of view.=

REV

You just defeated your own argument Rev. Us younger "wonder 9'ers" are 40 years old or older. Who the heck does Ruger market for? 65+ ? ? ?

That seems to be who they cater too with their .44 specials and such.

Not that's its bad, but it sure as heck isn't the future. Your own characterization of the wonder 9 niners as a bunch of "youngsters" really just shows how the years have slipped by on you. Pretty much everyone under 50 is a "wonder 9ner." You are sounding some old man sitting in his rocking chair talking about the 50 year old youngsters who can't be trusted.

Heck I like to consider myself part of the Wonder 40 generation.....

And anyway, even if you are right about there being a glorious future for the 1911, something that I obviously doubt, Ruger is still going to screw it up with cast parts and MIM trash. The market for high end 1911s is full, the market for low end 1911s is full. Ruger is chasing the curve and everyone except for Ruger loyalists know it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Quarterbore":15hpmo7e said:
I personally am not comfortable carying a cocked and locked 1911 in a conceiled carry holster but I have zero problems carying the Glock 19 loaded with one in the chamber. Other people are directly the opposite but having choices is always a good thing.

Me too QB, I used to carry my 1991 A1 Compact SOB with no holster cocked and locked. Did that for about 5 years 20 years or so ago. Never dropped it once, never had an issue. One time I fell on the ice getting out of my car and that was the end of SOB carry for me. Now it's a Glock 26 or a KT P3AT in my front pocket in a holster. Nothing beats the KT for easy carry, and I think 7 rounds of 380 will handle most things that I'll encounter.

MY absolute favorite gun platform of all time is the 1911. There is no other gun that I enjoy shooting as much. Regarding the SA revolvers .... I own a few Rugers, but truth be told, I just don't like the grips of SA revolvers. I have a bunch of DA revolvers ... Colts and Rugers, but the best fit for me is the GP100/SRH platform. I can shoot them all well, but I just don't like the SA's. Both of mine are currently for sale. I tried them and don't like them. I appreciate the nostalgia, the technology, and the beauty of the SA's, but don't like the grip angle at all. Oh, well ... I did TRY to like them. LOL.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
piratedude":o7j6huar said:
Not that's its bad, but it sure as heck isn't the future.

You are sounding some old man sitting in his rocking chair talking about the 50 year old youngsters who can't be trusted.

even if you are right about there being a glorious future for the 1911

The future isn't always better than the past ... if you don't believe that ... look in the White House.

Your second comment has twisted my honest non-insulting opinion into something that YOU must evidently believe, because I never said anything near that. I stand by my 1911 comments. If you're not capable of looking at an issue dispassionately and discussing it rationally, there's no more that needs to be said.

In case you haven't noticed, there has, and always will be, a glorious PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE to the 1911. THis still doesn't mean I disagree with you regarding Ruger 'getting it right' if they do a 1911. I doubt they will.

REV

Snake45

Hawkeye
Look at all the "new, improved" handgun designs that have come along to put the "obsolete" 1911 out of bidness. Many of them are no longer around and many of the rest are just barely hanging on. Let's see which of them are still around in another 50 years. 1911s will still be here.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Snake45":3uok1obj said:
Look at all the "new, improved" handgun designs that have come along to put the "obsolete" 1911 out of bidness. Many of them are no longer around and many of the rest are just barely hanging on. Let's see which of them are still around in another 50 years. 1911s will still be here.

Amen to that, Snake. Can you imagine someone saying even 20 years from now ... yeah, those P345's, and SR9's ... they were classics ... LOL.

REV

Mike J

Hunter
I really don't have an opinion on the 1911 as a platform as I don't have any experience with it. That said I don't really understand why Ruger is throwing themselves into that market. Ruger had a pretty good name & reputation with their P-series pistols. Many didn't like the aesthetics of them but there was no denying they worked. Now it seems like they are running around trying to produce everything they didn't do under the old management. It seems like they would be better off perfecting the SR-9 & filling out that line with .40 & .45 offerings.
Not that a Ruger 1911 couldn't be good but that is a very competitive market from what I have seen.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Mike J":1gjy4282 said:
I don't really understand why Ruger is throwing themselves into that market.

Ruger had a pretty good name & reputation with their P-series pistols.

Good comments Mike ! First, I don't know that we're even sure at this point whether this rumor is real or not LOL, although we're talking about it as if it were real, and it may well be. If it IS real, Ruger needs to do what I said in previous posts ... create a reasonably priced 1911 (about $500 street) that has above average accuracy in a bare bones 1911. If they do that, it WILL succeed. If they try to compete with Springfield and Colt pricewise, you can kiss it goodbye right now. Just on name alone they'll fail. And if they booger it up with all kinds of lawyer features, it's dead also. 1911 fans want mil-spec 1911's ... no locks, no mag safeties, no loaded chamber indicators, no BS. If it has ANY of them, it's dead. Many people today won't even buy S&W's revolvers with the locks.

Regarding your second comment, you're right, they had a decent reputation with the P-series guns (excluding the P345 of course).

Since lawyers and accountants took over Ruger, their production has drastically suffered. THeir new auto models have been disasters, and overall quality has suffered throughout the line.

It still amazes me that they actually introduced a $2000 AR, when, as I've said before, you can buy a great AR for $900 and build one for $700.

I hope they get it right with the vaporware 1911. :D

REV

Snake45

Hawkeye
Mike J":2fz7zwuw said:
That said I don't really understand why Ruger is throwing themselves into that market.
I'm sure that SOMEBODY at Chevrolet was saying, in early 1965, "Sure, Ford has sold a million Mustangs, but why would we want to get into that market, surely everyone who wants one of those things bought one already...We need to concentrate on OUR thing, the Corvair...."
:lol: