Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Polymer - Welcome to the 21st century

• Just show me the results

• Total voters

cmp944

Bearcat
If rumors are true, Ruger will be introducing there 1911 soon. I cannot help but wonder what material Ruger will be using for the frame.
You cant go wrong with a Steel frame. But then Ruger is well known for their aluminum investment grade castings. Throw in the LCR, a fairly radical concept for a revolver, and I could imagine Ruger coming out with a polymer frame 1911.

All the materials have there own advantages. Steels a standard, easy to work on. Aluminum is lighter, easier to cc. Polymer is stretching it in my mind, but it would make for one light weight and durable 1911, and I could see one on there SR line up.

Charger22

Bearcat
Guess I'm first but it probably wont be the popural option.

Think it will help keep cost down and all my other Ruger pistols have a poly frame.

Rugerpistols001-1.jpg

How sweet would a poly 1911 look with that group. Need an SR9 and LCR as well.

cmp944

Bearcat
Honestly, I'm kinda leaning towards polymer too. If they did it right it would be one sweet design. Besides steel frames are all over, Kimber has there aluminum frame 1911, but no one is using polymer yet.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I'd love a plastic 1911 frame, but only if it looked just like a steel one, not if it had a fat, ugly trigger guard like so many plastic TGs are.

I love alloy-framed Commanders but alloy-framed 5" 1911s recoil noticeably more than steel-framed ones or even LW Commanders. Sure do carry nice, though.

Steel is prolly the best all-around bet.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Don't really care myself. The purists will cry foul if it's not an exact copy of the original design (like there isn't enough already) so they'll demand steel. Voted steel just 'cause I'm not afraid or handicapped by a few extra ounces.

Sassi

Bearcat
I have not heard any more on a Ruger 1911 so is this a dead issue now??

sparks701

Bearcat
Doesn't Wilson make a plastic 1911? I would like steel, It wouldn't be a carry piece for me so the weight will only help with recoil at the range.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
I can see using any of the three materials mentioned but for the sake of simplicity I would like to see steel. I think most folks would take a shine to any M1911 that Ruger makes so long as it possesses three qualities.

1. Performance(reliability and Accuracy!). If it comes out and it shoots like an early p85 (4-6in groups @25yds) folks will pass on it, Ruger already makes a couple of 45's that are basically 2in @25yd guns, the P90 and P345, not to mention the discontinued P97. Any of these three guns gives performance similar to a good (not great) M1911 at bargain prices and they are all reliable too. If a new Ruger 1911 doesnt at least match this performance then what would be the point?

2. It is Recall FREE, none of this P85/SR9 style BS of buying a new gun only to mail it back in a few months because of safety issues or barrel peening or some other defect.

3. Reasonable price. I am thinking of an MSRP of $800 or less, but really I think most folks would rather have it be a little more money (but still less than a grand) so long as it WORKS. At this price point it would be less than a S&W but more than a Taurus. But if it performs it would be worth it.

cmp944":3gipe6zu said:
If rumors are true, Ruger will be introducing there 1911 soon. I cannot help but wonder what material Ruger will be using for the frame.
You cant go wrong with a Steel frame. But then Ruger is well known for their aluminum investment grade castings. Throw in the LCR, a fairly radical concept for a revolver, and I could imagine Ruger coming out with a polymer frame 1911.

All the materials have there own advantages. Steels a standard, easy to work on. Aluminum is lighter, easier to cc. Polymer is stretching it in my mind, but it would make for one light weight and durable 1911, and I could see one on there SR line up.

1911master

Bearcat
I have emailed all the major 1911 manufactures asking for a "plastic" single stack 1911 over the past few years and no one seems to interested. I think they missed the boat when they tried to shove a hi cap 1911 when it should have been a single stack. Just my two cents. Jim

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Kimber imported a polymer dbl stack 1911, the BP10. Wasn't exactly a roaring success. :roll:

One would think to justify the costs it would have to appeal to 1911 guys, not just Rugernistas. Steel and/or aluminum frame. Would the buying public accept a low capacity plastic frame 1911? The name of the game today is high cap unless you're a 1911 guy.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
If Ruger does finally enter the 1911 market, I can't imagine that they would take the risk of making it out of polymer. While my preference would clearly be steel, I would also be interested if they choose an alloy frame instead.

Spikess

Bearcat
I voted for steel, but Ruger's had good results from their alloy frames so it might be a good ticket to keep it that way. I'm not against polymer frames, but the thought of a plastic 1911 makes my skin crawl.

Latest posts