Ruger 10/22 rough safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

il Padrino

Bearcat
I recently purchased a used Ruger 10/22 stainless with synthetic stock and the old style metal/aluminum trigger housing. The gun appears to be very clean as if it was never fired. I'm having a bit of a problem with the safety, it does not move from side to side smoothly, it feels as if it's rubbing on something rough inside, I took the trigger husing out from the receiver and looked as best as I could and the safety apears clean no grit in there. I tried a few drops of oil thinking maybe it was dry rubbing and it's still a bit rought. Any ideas what how to make it smoother?

il Padrino

Bearcat
Well, since a little oil did not seem to do the trick I tore the trigger assembly apart, despite some warning I read about how difficult the safety plunger and spring is to reinstall. I pulled the plunger under the safety out and it had a very rough end. I polished it a bit and put a bit of grease on it, reassembled it worked it back and fourth a few times and it's smoother, I'm sure will smooth out even more with more use.
Not sure what all the warning were about not taking the safety apart, I found that to be the easiest part to go back together. :)

Thanks for the advice.

LarryH

Single-Sixer
The safety plunger spring likes to go flying! Usually to places unknown and it doesn't come back. Luckily I found mine the first, and only, time it has happened. Installation is easy as you must have figured out. Just press the plunger down with a ink pen tube and slide the safety back in. Piece of cake!
LarryH