Ruger 10/22 custom barrel install

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I just picked up a new 10/22 carbine, I want a gun I can customize and turn into a sometime plinker and hunting rifle so I am looking at putting on a Hogue overmolded stock and a Shaw bull barrel. I got the old barrel off with some stickiness, has anyone put on the Shaw barrels? I was wondering how much of a pain it is, I also ordered a stainless V-block to match up so I don't have to worry about the factory one.

recumbent

Buckeye
The barrel should slide in just fine. Not sure what to worry about on factory V blocks.
Ruger recommends 15 - 20 inch lb. torque on the v block screws.

wwb

Hunter
If, as you stated, it's going to be a hunting rifle, I would forget the bull barrel - they are really intended for target use. One of the carbon fiber/tensioned steel tube barrels would be a better choice.

Old adage from the shotgunning world, but applies to rifles as well.....
A target gun is meant to be shot a lot and carried a little - a hunting gun is meant to be carried a lot and shot a little.

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
I dropped a Shaw sporter contour barrel into my 1979 vintage 10/22 and used the original v-block and walnut stock. I changed the trigger group out to a new polymer unit tuned by Brimstone Gunsmithing. The gun now shoots under 3/8" at 50 yards with CCI SV.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I also got a new 10/22 SS carbine, with the dirt-bottom cheap plastic stock, and it shoots very accurately. No need for a new barrel, etc., here.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
wwb said:
- a hunting gun is meant to be carried a lot and shot a little.
:? I'll take exception to that!

A hunting gun is carried a lot and shot as much as you want. So there. :wink: . :wink: . :D

I took a 10/22 that I bought in 1966 and shot the living what ever out of it. So much
that even off a bench rest is was not very good. Put in a VQ trigger, carbon fiber
barrel (I recommend them for a hunting gun), a Hogue stock, and an adjustable
objective scope on it. Total weight was a hair below five pounds, has a trigger that was
near 3 pounds and shot half inch groups at fifty yards.

Oops . . . .DID have one like that. It got lost in that boating accident. :shock:

Seems like I had some issues when installing a Green Mountain barrel years back. VERY tight fit in the receiver. I used a shotgun bore brush to thoroughly clean the inside of the receiver and put a couple drops of CLP on the barrel shank but still ended up using a dead blow hammer to "encourage" things.
That rifle was very accurate as long as nothing touched the barrel(barrel band was out of the question).
I honestly have to say that an aftermarket barrel would have to be extremely accurate to exceed what I've found to be normal from factory barrels(especially the 16", no sights, threaded muzzle barrels).