Ruger 10/22 Compact and stock refinish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I was in the market for another small gun for me and the wife and I had a Ruger 10/22 takedown, which was ok but I had to sell it to make some bills. So I went and picked out a 10/22 compact this time. I like the sights better on this gun and the takedown feature is nice but since it will be at the house most of the time I don't really need it. I do like the short 16 inch barrel. The finish on the gun was awful, at least as a clear coat. It was dead flat and not very smooth, in a couple spots like sandpaper.

I got the gun for a good price, $60 less than the takedown and I took it home and gave it three coats of Tru-oil which not only makes it nicer to look at but also to grab on to. I hope to get to the range in the next couple of days.

Your piece-your choice.
Personally, I wouldn't make the effort. I took a pretty nice walnut stock off my old 10-22 because Tom thought I was foolish for beating the stock up. I put a plastic take-off on the 10-22 I'm using just so the "use" doesn't show so much. Re-finish a birch(or whatever they use now) just for looks? Not me.

"No damn barrel band, you know"
This is another place many 10-22 users disagree. If there is an accuracy issue, I haven't seen it. The barrel band serves a couple of useful purposes on a rifle that gets USED. It stabilizes the barrel taking some stress off the somewhat weak barrel/receiver lash up and makes a great sling attachment location.
Maybe my ideas are off center but to me, a 10-22 is a TOOL. There are nice ones and there are grubby ones. The one that lives in my pickup/UTV is kind of rough on the outside but there's nothing wrong with the inside of the barrel.

Ol'Freak

Bearcat
The stock is all that remains of the original Compact, and it's had the channel opened up to accept a 17" Green Mountain Heavy Taper. :mrgreen:
GMHT_Compact_1.jpg