Ruger 10/22 Build suggestions/questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

daktaklakpak

Bearcat
Hello, I will be receiving a 10/22, and plan to eventually modify it. I'll play around with the stock configuration for a while. I want to keep the gun open sights, but probably modded for tech sights or something similar. I've been browsing a lot of forums, galleries, etc and have found a few pictures that are kind of inline with what I am planning to do:
tWOCK.jpg

ya39m.jpg

(these are actually from user CraigC but I can't seem to contact him about it)

Barrel: I've been browsing Green Mountain (http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/rugert...eterbarrels/ruger-10-22-920-bull-barrels-page) for barrels and am currently leaning toward a blued bull barrel, but haven't decided on length or fluted yet. Maybe a 18" or 20"?

Sights: I think I will eventually move away from the stock 10/22 sights at some point. I've been eyeing the tech sights, specifically the TSR100. I've seen that tech sights don't really fit on a bull barrel unless you get the slip-fit adapter that only fits on the end of the barrel, or there is the NDS that can slide along the barrel. However, I am aiming for the (what I personally consider) clean setup in the first two pictures above, noting how the front sight is mounted. What kind of sights are they using (I know it might be hard to tell) or is it built into the barrel? Or any other suggestions?

Stock: The stock I plan to get is a standard Hogue stock (black or OD), but I am kind of interested in the Boyd Tacticool stock from the first picture. Maybe some other suggestions?
Thanks for any help or criticism :)

I really like Bell and Carlson stocks. They have one called the Oddsey or something like that. It is adjustable. Kidd brand makes some nice 10/22 aftermarket parts lime barrels and trigger groups.

I have a 10/22 with Kidd barrel and trigger. It is pure joy to shoot.

daktaklakpak

Bearcat
I guess my main question/concern is just how or what tools they used so that they got that tech sight on that bull barrel so cleanly. Maybe that bull barrel comes with the dove tail thingy, but the bull barrels I am finding don't have that front mount.

Sorry, I don't know about that front sight.

You could always get the barrel you want, fluted or not, colored, or blue or stainless etc. then take it to a good gunsmith. They could dovetail the sight in or drill and tap the barrel, depending upon the sights. Those are nice looking rifles.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I put a USGI M14 front sight on mine, and used an old Redfield adjustable rear peep. I like the sight picture a lot better than the Tech Sights.

102266-1.jpg

daktaklakpak

Bearcat
Snake45 said:
I put a USGI M14 front sight on mine, and used an old Redfield adjustable rear peep. I like the sight picture a lot better than the Tech Sights.

102266-1.jpg

Cool! What stock is that? Or maybe a spec rundown? :)

Snake45

Hawkeye
daktaklakpak said:
Snake45 said:

102266-1.jpg

Cool! What stock is that? Or maybe a spec rundown? :)
It's an old factory birch stock that was actually painted "tactical" black when I bought it cheap at a gun show. I stripped it, stained it, and finished it with spray satin polyurethane (birch doesn't take oil finish well). I sawed off the little part forward of the barrel band just for a different look. I call the thing my "Micro 14." It's a 5-digit SN 1966 gun I bought at a gun show in the '80s in a Fed Ord folding "paratroop" stock for $100. Mechanically, it's 100% factory stock.

CraigC

Hawkeye
My rifle above uses a Nodak receiver with their proprietary rear sight housing and a Tech Sights TS200 module for a little more elevation adjustment. Nodak now offers a rear sight with integrated rail for their own and factory Ruger receivers. It's a sweet setup. My front sight is simply a Tech Sights steel front tower with the shorter national match post, mounted into the lowest Marbles base I could find. It mounts to the barrel with one 6-48 screw. The barrel is not a bull but rather a 21.5" Clark Custom mid-weight, measuring .720" at the muzzle. It shoots as well as a heavy barrel but without the weight. Rifle shoots 0.30"@50yds with Wolf MT. Trigger is a KID two stage.

The bull barrel tech sights come with a sleeve with groove for the front sight that fits over the end of the .920 barrel... you actually 'glue' it on with lock tight.... I can send a picture later.

My first suggestion on any 10/22 is to fix the damn trigger pull... everything else is secondary.

what type of shooting do you plan to do? That has a lot to do with stock and barrel.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I actually like the trigger pull on my "Micro-14." It's about 5 or 6 pounds with just a tiny bit of creep, and it feels very, very similar to the trigger pull on a typical GI M1 carbine.

Of course this is a 1966 gun, and has been used quite a bit. I understand the trigger pulls on the new ones are pretty horrendous.

daktaklakpak

Bearcat
CraigC said:
My rifle above uses a Nodak receiver with their proprietary rear sight housing and a Tech Sights TS200 module for a little more elevation adjustment. Nodak now offers a rear sight with integrated rail for their own and factory Ruger receivers. It's a sweet setup. My front sight is simply a Tech Sights steel front tower with the shorter national match post, mounted into the lowest Marbles base I could find. It mounts to the barrel with one 6-48 screw. The barrel is not a bull but rather a 21.5" Clark Custom mid-weight, measuring .720" at the muzzle. It shoots as well as a heavy barrel but without the weight. Rifle shoots 0.30"@50yds with Wolf MT. Trigger is a KID two stage.

Thanks CraigC!

daktaklakpak

Bearcat
blume357 said:
The bull barrel tech sights come with a sleeve with groove for the front sight that fits over the end of the .920 barrel... you actually 'glue' it on with lock tight.... I can send a picture later.

My first suggestion on any 10/22 is to fix the damn trigger pull... everything else is secondary.

what type of shooting do you plan to do? That has a lot to do with stock and barrel.

I plan to just do target shooting, and mayyyybe in the future do varmint shooting.

Precision32

Blackhawk
IMHO, B&C stocks are WAY over rated. The inletting sucks big time.

Rhineland makes a real sharp Black Walnut or Mahogany stock.

Keystone Sporting firearms (make the Cricket rifle for kids) makes a "Micro-Grooved" barrels for the 10-22. I'm able to shoot one ragged hole using these barrels, a first for me.

As others have suggested, do or have done a trigger job. I have had brand new rifles that you could cock the rifle (empty of course) and hang the rifle off the trigger without the hammer dropping. A bone stock rifle can hold 1.5 MOA without problems.

CoyoteDown

Bearcat
Snake 45 -

Like the military look on your 10/22. I seem to remember some where on the forum, maybe earlier this summer, I saw a similar build next to a Mini 14 wood stock type and they could have been cousins.

At a gun show in Kansas City I picked up some left over 10/22 stock parts for $30 that included the birch stock cut for the barrel band (mine does not have that). I picked it up with the idea of replicating the military oil finish and I seem to remember that there was a gas block look-alike piece that was mentioned in the text that went on the fore stock with a sling attachment.

Now I can't find the thread. This would make a neat winter project. Was this this thread yours??

Thnx.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Chuckfish said:
What is the best cost effective way to lighten the trigger on a 10/22. I am on a very limited budget.

Wolff spring kit from Michigan Center Outdoors and some hand polishing of the internals. Mr. Shively is very helpful via email and on YouTube. Bought two 10/22 kits and one for a 22/45. Of course you can do better but for less than $30 and some of your time, it's the best cheapest way.