Ruger 10/22 ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wwb

Hunter
The only thing I'd be leery of is some of the eastern European stuff... it may very well have corrosive priming (even if it claims to be non-corrosive).

Other than that, a 10/22 will happily shoot anything you feed it.

A thorough cleaning every couple thousand rounds is also a good idea... other than that, a wipe down with an oily cloth after each use is all it needs.

jimd441

Blackhawk
1022's are quite tolerant of ammo types, but like seemingly all .22's any individual gun may work particularly well or particularly poorly with a given ammo type.

Jim

airwin

Bearcat
Stay away from Remington Golden Bullets. This ammunition has caused a lot of problems in any of my .22 guns. I prefere CCI or Federal.

hutchman

Blackhawk
If this is a new or new to you 10/22, buy a selection of 50 round boxes and find one that it likes........then shoot the snot out of it!

I say don't lock your self into one, even when you find it shoots the best out of a particular rifle. Just note that type and keep rotating.... it's one of the joys of shooting 22lr.... it don't cost much to shoot and try different ammo. but then it's best to have a number of different 22lr guns so that if a specific brand of cheap ammo doesn't work in one, you can shoot it in another. If all else fails a single six revolver or lever or bolt action rifle will shoot anything.

wwb

Hunter
Lone Wolf McQuade":3jb2c6aq said:
I found that the Remmington Golden 22's were very dirty in my 10/22.

Yup, but I'll bet they still shot just fine, didn't they.

In terms of cleanliness, cost, and consistency, I like the CCI Blazers and the Federal bulk pack.... but I've yet to find anything my 10/22 won't shoot.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
I've got a dozen or so 22 rifles, and another half dozen handguns. I long ago gave up trying to figure out and keep track of what ammo shoots best out of which gun. I just settled on Federal Bulk pack as "good enough" for all.

But in a pinch, most anything will do.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I've also done what CajunBass has a went 100% for the Federal 550 Value Pack Copper Washed Ammo from Wal-Mart..
It serves as my all around 22 plinking ammo & works in 10/22s & MKIIs very well..
I have yet to find any of the CCI Blazer Ammo @ Wal-Mart..
I have also found that the Remington Golden value pack ammo to be the dirtiest ammo with the most feading & reliability problems, I haven't tried the stuff since installing the exact edge extractor though..
Also I clean my guns after every range setion, some tell you that's unneccisary but 22 rimfire ammo is known for being filthy, besides when I go shooting these 22lr guns get shot the most as far as round count goes
Usualy I put a brick downrange & the guns will be dirty.
Good Luck & Enjoy that 10/22
Gary

600th Post!! Weh Hew!!

jimd441

Blackhawk
My 1022 DSP cycles the new Remington Golden Bullets as well as other bulk ammo such as Federal and Winchester.

Jim

Snake45

Hawkeye
airwin":1nzeu4u9 said:
Stay away from Remington Golden Bullets. This ammunition has caused a lot of problems in any of my .22 guns. I prefere CCI or Federal.
I've had bad lots of that stuff but many more good lots. Most lots of it work fine in most of my guns and I have a few guns that won't run on anything else.

OP, try them in YOUR gun and see how they work. They might work GREAT for YOU.

BTW, I've shot about 20,000 rounds of them in the last 3 years so I know what I'm talking about.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Lone Wolf McQuade":sh5cimun said:
I found that the Remmington Golden 22's were very dirty in my 10/22.
They're not quite as clean-burning as the copper-washed Federal Bulks, but I've found they're nowhere near as dirty as you might think. Last year my Ciener-converted 1911 fired 5200 rounds of them with NO maintenance other than oiling the slide rails twice, and the gun is still running fine. And I know from previous experience that it will clean up quickly and easily, too, when I get around to it.