Ruger #1 Peep Sight ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I shot my 475 linebaugh #1 today. Only a few rounds. It just points so well that I think I am going skip putting a scope on it. I am thinking of going with a NECG peep sight and fiber optic front bead. Looking for some feedback from others who have used this setup or just the peep sight. Wondering if the factory height front sight typically works. Also how difficult should removing the front sight blade be. It looks pretty simple. But the simple things usually make me cuss the most. Thanks for any and all advice.

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
When I have used this site in the past I have typically ordered the front site closest to what came from the factory and the next blade higher. Over the years this has worked pretty well.

here is what NECG says

"Because original Ruger factory sight beads are supplied in various heights you will need to measure your original bead to determine which size of replacement bead you need to order. To do this you will need to remove your original bead. Simply press down on the locking plunger while tapping the sight toward the muzzle with a plastic punch or piece of hardwood. Once your bead is removed, measure it from the bottom of the dovetail base to the top of the bead. Should you desire to change the point of impact of your rifle we suggest the following: to RAISE the point of impact, order one size lower than your original, to LOWER the point of impact, order one size higher. Please note that our Sourdough Sight Bead is available in only one height, .433", but because of its design it can be filed lower to raise your point of impact. The NECG Beads for Ruger Rifles are manufactured to match original Ruger beads as closely as possible. Should the base of your new replacement bead be too large for your rifle's dovetail slot, simply file or lightly sand the bottom of the bead's dovetail base until it will fit.
"

Hope this helps, they are a great site. Let me know how you make out.
I will more than likely be trying the same thing when I get mine.
Dave

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I have one I bought for my 1S 45-70 but it made it to the 77/44 instead. One will make to the #1. The are great sights and sure seem VERY well built.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I have not used on a #1 (yet). I have used the NECG peep on MKII's and the factory bead has always worked, quite well btw. Way more fun and accurate than I would have ever guessed.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Thanks for the advice. I read the sales pitch on their website but always prefer input from someone who has used the product. I am going to wait a bit and hope I can catch the peep on sale at midway. I spread myself a little thin buying the rifle and a scope I am not going to use on this gun. I am going to do my best to keep this gun in good condition but I can guarantee I will be shooting it a lot. Been a while since a shot a gun thta made me smile as much as this one.

pete44ru

Hunter
FWIW, I've NEVER seen a NECG peep sight "on sale" cheaper than buying directly from NECG - AND NECG's S&H is nowhere near as costly as Midway's.

I have had a NECG Peep Rear Sight on Ruger #1 in 45-70 for several years. I love it. I do not recall changing the front sight. The rifle is a brush hunting gun and the peep makes it quick to shoulder and onto target.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
Ive had one for about 10 years now. Bought it for my #1 .375 H&H. Loved it.
Then I wanted to see just what the rifle would do and put a Luepold VX1 2-7x33 on it. Ive still got he NECG peep but the scope is still on that rifle.

vol423

Bearcat
Look and see what XSsights has for the No 1. They make a very neat sight for the No 3 that uses the rear scope ring holes. I think they make one for the No 1 as well.

63November

Single-Sixer
6772NECG.jpg

Not a great perspective view, but...

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
I put one on my 77/44 a few years ago; when I put it on and went to the range I was surprised to find that it was dead on at about 75 yards. The adjustment screws on my sight have never been turned. I have since put a small scope on my 77/44, but I sure think the NECG sight is effective and extremely well made. Only down side for me with the setup is the tiny brass bead on the Ruger front sight.

Cedar Creek

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
Gunbroker has a picture of a Limited Edition #1 in .45-70 with a NECG peep sight installed.

I looked at the NECG website - their current price for the NECG Ruger peep sight is $85.00.

Cedar Creek

mike7mm08

Buckeye
According to the NECG website you might. They suggest you shoot it first and see. Everyone I have talked to with the sight on a number 1 has not had to change the front. I plan to change mine though. As soon as I confirm the needed height I am going to replace the front with a fiber optic.

cas6969

Buckeye
Bumping this back up. Does anyone have a picture of the XS on a rifle? I can't find much.