Ruger #1 in 9.3x74

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fred M

Bearcat
Just aquired a new Ruger #1 in 9.3x74. I have been looking for one for a long time. Now that I have one I like to hear what you have to say about it.

Better yet do you own one, do you hand load it?
At present I have a box of Noma 282gr Orix factory loads.

I scoped it with a Burris Signature scope 3-9 in the Ruger
rings which adds about 1.5lbs to the rifle Total weight is
now 8.75lbs.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Keep looking at one but can't jump just yet. Recoil...I'm a little guy. Ammo...availability (not thatI'd shoot it a lot). Have to wait and see.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
Hi Fred,

I have a No. 1 in 9.3x74R and love it. There are a couple of others around here who also have this gun.

I haven't bloodied it yet, but will probably get to try it out on a whitetail in the next couple of months. Though I originally started out with a Burris 4x Short Mag scope on it, I replaced it with a Burris 2-7x35 Fullfield II.

I have shot RWS 285gr factory ammo as well as handloads with the 286gr Hornady bullet and the Speer 270gr semi-spitzer. Both handloads are in the 2,300 fps range according to the book, but I have not check them with a chrono.

It has been a solid 1.5" gun with all the ammo I have tried. Certainly plenty of accuracy for this gun's range. My best groups are a little under an inch with the Speer bullets.

It definitely shoots flatter than a 45-70 being only a couple of inches low at 200 yards when sighted in 2" high at 100.

P1010083-2.jpg

P1010122.jpg

DSCN1143.jpg

Fred M

Bearcat
Bigboreshooter.
Thanks for the reply. I had several scopes available but thought the extra little weight was of benefit. The Burris Signature is the one with Posi Lock in 3-9 and has an electro dot. Its a heavy scope had it for a long time.

It only toke 4 shots to sight in 2.5" high at 100. The rifle responded to the scope clicks perfectly so I did not shoot any groups since I only got one box of Norma 282gr Oryx. From the way the rifle reponded I think it shoots under one inch.

The recoil is not bad I am taking it out in a couple of days and see if I can bag a doe, still got two tags.
I had a chance to buy a 45-70 #1 but thought the 9.3 is a better choice. I should have taking my Chrony out but it was pretty cold and did not feel like playing around.

I may even get a chance at a moose this week. I am in on a moose hunt. I ordered a 9.3x74R last year but never got one after waiting several month, so I caneled
the order. This one came up on a chance and was the only one they had.

In the near future I go to the US and round up some reloading supplies and dies.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I found RCBS dies without any trouble, and laid in a supply of Hornady brass and bullets from Hornady & Speer. I've been using IMR 4064, but there are several good loads listed for other readily available powders as well. The long tapered case is an absolute JOY to reload. :lol:

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Bloodied my 9.3 this am on an old old buck. I think the deer was only slightly younger than me! :lol: Anyway I hope it is the first of many as I love the rifle and caliber-and have only had it about 6 weeks. 270g Speer over varget, about 110 yards, Texas heart shot, bullet recovered! weighing 222.5g. TnTnTn

1125090821a.jpg

Fred M

Bearcat
Since the close of hunting seaso I reduced the trigger weight from 4.5lbs to 30oz on my new 9.3x74R.
I also skeletonized the hammer to speed up ignition ala Moulds.

The trigger pull is a joy now, no more excuse to jerk the trigger again. Check now how well it will shoot when it gets a bit warmer. Mery Christmas to all.

Coogs

Maximum
Love mine! Always wanted a "big bore" Type rifle, have lots a 45-70's, but nothin' I would have loaded up. I'm using a 270 gr. sierra hot cor and 53 grs. of...................well, some kinda powder. I load too much and I'm gettin' old! Can't remeber. But it is makin' real small <1.5" groups @ 100. Have mine topped with a leoupold 1.5 - 5 vari X III. Nice thing about the cartridge is ya can load it down to less than an '06 and up almost as much as a .375 mag. Midway had everything ya needed 30 days ago. That is when I got all my stuff. Redding dies and a pretty decent variety of bullets. Coogs.

63November

Single-Sixer
I just had mine out today to check zero after exchanging the factory Rugers - mediums- for the classy Leupold lows. They place the Weaver 2.5 just above the folding rear sight and bring the scope to my eye a bit more readily.

Our winter moose season opens in about 10 days so I plan to have the 9.3 ready with 286 Hornadys in case I decide to use the #1 instead of the yet-untested M77 358 Norma. I suspect either will work on moose though neither has proven that exact detail - yet.

The 9.3 worked well on this old girl though:

IMG_04733.JPG

BTW Blackhawk73, the 9.3X74 does not belt one near as much as you might expect. If you can manage 30-06, then the 9.3 #1-S should suit you also. It is one of the truly perfect #1 packages IMO; the #1-S is nice handling to start; the 22" barrel only improves on that. The rifle has a bit more heft than a #1-A which makes the added recoil of the bigger case and bullets quite moderate; and the long cased 74R feeds so easily whether with a scope of without. I highly recommend the pairing of the #1 with the old classic 9.3x74R.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
andylate":35ut0xnu said:
Hey, BigBore

I'm curious why you replaced the Short Mag scope?

Andy

I liked the Short Mag 4x fine. I thought it complimented the rifle well. But, I had the 2x-7x laying around and thought it seemed like a logical choice as well, given the range capabilities of this cartridge.

I liked the idea of having 2x for "up close and personal" stuff, and 7x helps my tired old eyes when the range gets out close to 200 yards.

I think a 1x-4x or a 1.5x-5x would be just about ideal as well.